Everyone blinded by prejudice

shaky

shaky

I am in psychiatric hospital.
I am on a ward with 17 other men, but I feel more alone than ever.
I feel as if I am the only one who sees the world for what it is and everyone else sees it through a veil of prejudice

shaky

shaky

If anyone gets upset in interaction with a staff member, everyone thinks it is the staff member fault
If the polish guy does anything thenhe is on the wrong
But the crippled chap can do awful things (he even smashed up the radio) then it's someone else's fault.
I see what's really happening. And it's very different from the prejudiced view

W

winofunk

Hello Shaky! :)

I can relate to you being among so many other people but still feeling alone. I struggled greatly with being sociable on the ward, with anyone, and I did feel that not being in amongst it all I could see things that other people could not.

When feeling so low and vulnerable the last place I wanted to be was in among other people who had their own problems, and when their own prejudices are added in to the mix it can be a toxic environment.

I did my best to keep myself to myself, and avoid the others on the ward, but the professionals believed participation in ward activities was key to my recovery and it was made clear to me that the longer I excluded myself, the longer my stay would be.

I hope to hear more from you soon.