• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

• Safety Notice: This section on Psychiatric Drugs/Medications enables people to share their personal experiences of using such drugs/medications. Always seek the advice of your doctor, psychiatrist or other qualified health professional before making any changes to your medications or with any questions you may have regarding drugs/medications. In considering coming off psychiatric drugs it is very important that you are aware that most psychiatric drugs can cause withdrawal reactions, sometimes including life-threatening emotional and physical withdrawal problems. In short, it is not only dangerous to start taking psychiatric drugs, it can also be dangerous to stop them. Withdrawal from psychiatric drugs should only be done carefully under experienced clinical supervision.

Every medication seems to quit working for me

• Thread starter needthecaffeine
  • Start date
needthecaffeine

needthecaffeine

I have a loooong history of different SSRIs I’ve taken and every single one of them stops working for me after about a year or so. I’ve been taking Prozac and it worked very well for me. It wasn’t the best but getting out of bed didn’t feel as difficult. Now once again I’m having trouble and I have thoughts of being better off gone everyday.

anyone have any medication recommendations or similar experiences that they’ve been able to overcome? So far I’ve taken lamictal, pristiq, lexapro, Paxil, Zoloft and then the current one I’m on, Prozac. I’m losing hope

Marrex

Marrex

Without knowing your exact diagnosis, I can tell you what has worked/not worked for me. I take this medication called "Abilify" or the generic version of it, anyhow. I contribute it the most to what mood stabilization I have gained, along with Sertraline. I'm pretty sure that one is for Depression. My mom took or at least takes prozac, and I think it's worked for her for a long time now. But, do keep in mind the body doesn't stop changing until around 25, and as you probably already know your brain chemistry changes along with it, I'm still a year away from that mark but so far those two have worked for me. I hope you get to finding the right medication for you!

Edit: Lamictal didn't work for me, but I don't think it caused anything negative, either. Also, Abilify has been the one I've been on since I was 15, so almost a decade now!

L

lifecangetbetter

I have a loooong history of different SSRIs I’ve taken and every single one of them stops working for me after about a year or so. I’ve been taking Prozac and it worked very well for me. It wasn’t the best but getting out of bed didn’t feel as difficult. Now once again I’m having trouble and I have thoughts of being better off gone everyday.

anyone have any medication recommendations or similar experiences that they’ve been able to overcome? So far I’ve taken lamictal, pristiq, lexapro, Paxil, Zoloft and then the current one I’m on, Prozac. I’m losing hope
it may help a little if you describe what you're trying to treat? depression, ocd etc?

S

siliconom

They are all SSRI

You got heaps of other choices

SNRI - venlafaxine, duloxetine

TCU - older ADs what correspond to above

Vortioxitine - newest class AD

Mirtazapine - often used for folk what don't respond to above

Antipsychotics at medium dose

MAOI - oldest class of AD. Very effective but you can't drink alcohol or eat cheese

L

lifecangetbetter

They are all SSRI

You got heaps of other choices

SNRI - venlafaxine, duloxetine

TCU - older ADs what correspond to above

Vortioxitine - newest class AD

Mirtazapine - often used for folk what don't respond to above

Antipsychotics at medium dose

MAOI - oldest class of AD. Very effective but you can't drink alcohol or eat cheese
yes this is correct except its TCAs not TCUs. with refractory depression they typically add an antipsychotic

Wishbone

Wishbone

Have you ever read up on other conditions/disorders to see if any others match up with your symptoms? Personality disorders, as an example? Maybe therapy is what is needed rather than medication?

L

lifecangetbetter

Trying to treat anxiety and depression
You could ask your doctor to try an snri. It's similar to ssris in that it works on serotonin but is different by also working on norepinephrine. There's also wellbutrin which works on dopamine and gives people energy to help them get out of bed in the morning