• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

We are an actively moderated forum. We work hard to keep the forum safe.

To access many more features and forums please register now

every little helps

S

scholesworld

i wish employers would support employees with mental health problems i have just had a warning for being off work with depression i feel as low as ever now all employers should have to do a course in mental health so they can support any staff with problems and understand mental health

D

Dollit

I think some people are becoming more enlightened but there is such a massive scope to mental health that if employers had to learn every eventuality they would become psychiatrists instead! I think all we can do is educate as we go and hope some of it sinks in.

KP1

KP1

Founding Member
The difficulty with depression is that the term is so commonly used and it can be mild moderate or severe.
I have to confess my understanding of it was limited before I became ill and experienced it myself.I really thought that you needed two or three weeks off to recharge batteries and feel better and for anti depressants to kick in.
I was wrong big style but it was not intentional and as a manager of staff I treated people as fairly as possible.
I now just want to be treated with respect and my views taken account of particularly when for example going to the doctors with a child or for my self.

J

jamesdean

i was only thinking yesterday u wouldnt choose 2 become a service user on benefit, any body in thier right mind wouldnt choose this life n yet people who r well view it as a desirabul life style when i became i tried n tried 2 go back 2 work but on the last attemt i had a total mental n physical body seizure n ther were food cecks coming in2 the kitchen n i remember i couldnt even pick up a saucepan n the manager shouting @ me but i couldnt do anything about it n then when i did walk in2 the street a van nearly run me over n when i found myself @ the hospital the abuse " wanted 4 this 2 happen, i was just so luky that my key worker @ that time was a christian n he didnt buy in2 that nonsense.
The word depression is 2 widely used by people these days, when i'm just fedup i know the differance, i looked @ the nhs direct site the other day something i dont do very often but it best descibes depression, perhaps employers should look @ that site n perhaps doctors should grade the sick note accordingly, its ok that professionals dont like labelling mh conditions but they do it quick enough 4 physical health. /COLOR]

Hazard

Hazard

i wish employers would support employees with mental health problems i have just had a warning for being off work with depression i feel as low as ever now all employers should have to do a course in mental health so they can support any staff with problems and understand mental health
I agree, things like that can just make you feel worse

I didnt get into university because of my "problems"

Willow

Willow

Hi Scholesworld

I work in Employment Law. There was an amendment to the DDA Disability Discrimination Act to include mental issues. Take a look at this website. http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/DisabledPeople/HealthAndSupport/MentalHealth/DG_10023351
Feel free to PM me if you want some advice.

There are lots of questions to decide whether your warning was given unfairly such as whether your employer knew about your MH problems before you started your employment - or whether you told them at any time during your employment. Also, have you been there long? could they be working up to laying you off thru redundancy cos of the current climate? If they know about your condition, did you get a note from your GP outlining your problems?

Take care.