• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Every Good Story Must Endure Conflict

R

rasselas

Forgive me for being pedantic, but doesn't he mean - every good story must involve a character/s that endures conflict?

Unless he's thinking of trying to get an agent or publisher.

The Book of Job is one of my favourite stories of endurance. I was in an acute mental health ward once and was told by one of the nurses that I was going to be called in for a review in ten minutes. I panicked. I'd learnt these were very rushed affairs. You had very little time to get your feelings across. Stupidly, naively, I requested a Bible.

- Why do you want to take a Bible in?
- To illustrate how I'm feeling.
- Are you Christian?
- No. Must I be?

So they allowed me to take the Bible from the hospital chapel.

I was called in. There was a psychiatrist and a ward nurse.

- How are you feeling?
- It's hard to express.
- What do you have there?
- It's a Bible.
- A Bible?
- Yes, I wanted to show you this passage here from the Book of Jo-
- That's enough.
- But... no... here...
- I don't want to see it.
- But... I....
- Ok. Double his medication. Double it.

And that was it. Review over. The akathisia was particularly bad from that point onwards. I'd learnt a valuable lesson.

Amen. :)

A

antipsionic

I'm not a Buddhist but Buddha said that all life is suffering, I read a book once called the Essence of Buddhism by Jo Durden-Smith that said what Buddha meant was that all life is a trial of endurance, which sounds about right to me.

Anyway Mark, taking a bible into a review, ward round or whatever and they decide to drug you up sounds about right, I'm very careful about what I say to the shrink and psychiatric nurses, playing the good patient despite what I really think and feel.

And woe betide you if you criticize (sp?) one of them, watch them close ranks, the only one who backed me up when I did so was a student nurse who was young and idealistic enough to take a moral stance.

R

rasselas

I'm not a Buddhist but Buddha said that all life is suffering, I read a book once called the Essence of Buddhism by Jo Durden-Smith that said what Buddha meant was that all life is a trial of endurance, which sounds about right to me.
Yes, I agree.

Anyway Mark, taking a bible into a review, ward round or whatever and they decide to drug you up sounds about right, I'm very careful about what I say to the shrink and psychiatric nurses, playing the good patient despite what I really think and feel.
Yes, I was still learning the ropes of how to survive the whimsical 'treatment'. It was an act of aggression.

They get away with so much in those dark places.

And woe betide you if you criticize (sp?) one of them, watch them close ranks, the only one who backed me up when I did so was a student nurse who was young and idealistic enough to take a moral stance.
I too was backed-up by student nurses on several occasions. But they generally only spoke out once. And yes, you learn what you must never share and how to correctly behave - you learn exactly how subdued deference is your most necessary form of self-defence.

They break you in. No coincidence I strongly identified with Papillon!

:)