• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Ever quit work with no job to go to?

M

MissPink

I had at least 6 months of not working full time. I lost a lot of income because of my mental health. My mum had a accident in March and that triggered my ocd. I have now had about 5 different jobs when I have been in between work after the 6 months. I now do self employed cleaning work which is easy and cash in hand and promotion work which is paid monthly and gives me a 'job' in the morning throughout late afternoon.

I think work is important if you can work and be on meds at the same time then you should. Don't rely on benefits unless you really can't work. I know three people that sponge off the benefit system and they can work as I know them pretty well, they have just got used to a way of life of having everything paid for and that can be the worst thing that ever can happen to you, because once you rely on your bills being paid for it will be harder for you to come off it. Plus being on meds and not working is not healthy for your mindset.

Not_here

Not_here

Yeh I have done it at almost every job I have had due to my mental illness I would just walk out. I always found a new job and for the most part it was always a better job. Now I am older and not a employers prime employee. The last two employers I had I sued in court. Not a good thing but I just can not let things go I create tornadoes out of nothing. I hate this side of me and during all this time while working I had no clue I was schizophrenic. No wonder I was nuts. Paranoid to say the least. I really do not think I will ever work again. Love and hugs Jules
We are the same you and i

Wanna take over the world?

Not_here

Not_here

I've burned so many employment bridges Im now trapped on an unemployable island.

:low:

S

smallgeezer

Good job advice: Never burn bridges at work. Even if they really treat you badly. Be professional.

M

Mintymint

I've never quit work before finding another, because being self-employed I've had bills to pay, kids to clothe and feed. So what benefit would it be if I stopped work all because I disliked it?

I've never been without work. Always had an iron in the fire, so to speak. I have enough work to see me through to spring, all my contacts ask me back to help them more because I charge a reasonable amount, and all the work I do I love. Work is life, life is getting by and earning a crust. Why lose work for the sake of it? You never get asked back.

RicharDragon

RicharDragon

I was in a toxic relationship that was the stuff of nightmares.
My partner swore that if I loved her I would quit several jobs or we would if we were working together because people were "harassing" us or "flirting" with me.
During the year of this I went through more jobs than my entire adult life.
I often had to quit without having another job...now I've been at my job for over a year despite the depression a d diabetes and refuse on most days ;) to give up
Best of luck to you!

S

smallgeezer

Going back to the original topic, quitting your job when you don't have another one to go to is reasonable if you need to do this for you, for your mental health.

Just don't do it in the heat of the moment. EVER!

It is good to have a back up plan, such as some temp/agency work you can do if you want to. This will also fill a gap in your CV>

A

Ausbloke19

Hi all, interesting been looking for a thread like this one. So anyone with experience being out of work for upto 8 years in a row?? How did you climb out of it and get employment without them ever finding out?? thanks guys

oh and yes ive walked out on heaps of jobs having no other jobs lined up to go to lol.

S

Shay94

I quit mine last night, couldn't take it anymore as my mental health was getting worse. It became a toxic workplace to be at, with or without other staff members around. We all tried to explain to bosses how we felt and while we understood they had a business to run, feedback from the staff should be taken as a good thing despite it could be shit that's either good or bad. Instead they took it as a personal attack and made us all feel pathetic/useless just for voicing our opinions, every day we felt like we couldn't talk to them coz they'd bite our heads off & its either their way or the highway. I loved working with the animals, its been my passion for years but they made work so toxic... I'm glad I made the decision to leave, its a relief to not feel so much anxiety every day and a big weight has lifted off me. I feel like its been whats holding me back from getting better but now that its done with, I can truly focus on myself for a while and get better. I'm not a fan of being on centrelink but can always volunteer somewhere in mean time & get a new job when I feel better

jajingna

jajingna

Yeah, I suppose I have just bailed on some jobs, or just didn't show up, was too stressed or something, might have been drinking and unfit for work...then all paranoid about employer reaction, phobic of calling them up, ugh. Had one job for just a short while and hated it, so I did like I just described. Felt terrible about that afterwards, could have broke away more smoothly or got a more suitable role, but then it was too late.

Prince of Cinders

Prince of Cinders

I've done it multiple times. In a few instances, I felt justified because the conditions (or management) were completely horrid and it just wasn't worth continuing.

A few times, I did it because...well, likely because i was just not looking at things right and should have stuck it out a bit longer.

Now...hell, I wouldn't hire me.

R

Rex Smith

I use to move to different places in the USA. I'd save up 6 months worth of money and off i went. Never once did I have anything waiting for me. With a gym membership, UPS store mailbox address, my car, a storage unit, and laundry mats is all i needed and super easy for anyone to obtain.