• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

EU approves first melatonergic antidepressant

firemonkey

firemonkey

The European Commission has granted marketing authorisation for Servier's agomelatine (Valdoxan®, Thymanax®), the first melatonergic antidepressant for the treatment of adult patients with major depressive episodes.

It has melatonin receptor (MT1) and (MT2) agonist properties and 5-hydroxytryptamine (serotonin) receptor 2C (5-HT2C) antagonist properties.

"Valdoxan's mechanism of action is unlike those of the commonly-prescribed antidepressants, the SSRIs and SNRIs, as Valdoxan exerts its antidepressant efficacy without having an impact on serotonin levels," says Professor Racagni from the University of Milan, Italy.

Valdoxan is claimed to be effective against all the core symptoms of depression, including depressed mood, anxiety, feeling of guilt, psychomotor retardation, sleep disturbances, daytime fatigue, without affecting sexual functioning or weight.

Following approval from the European Commission, Valdoxan is expected to become commercially available in European countries in the coming months.

http://www.anxietyinsights.info/eu_approves_first_melatonergic_antidepressant.htm

L

Leaning left

I've been on Valdoxan about a month now after not quite totally successful tries at the more traditional meds. I'm still not too sure how effective it is (life has its moments) but the upside is that there doesn't seem to be any side effects - that has to be good news.

piglet

piglet

It does seem interesting, I'm liking the whole "without affecting sexual functioning" thing as I have had a lot of problems with that with other ADs.

messymoo

messymoo

ACCOUNT CLOSED
that is interesting I am liking the fact it doesn't affect weight too

L

Lil

Yeah I'm liking the sound of those benefits too!

L

Leaning left

Mmm - late breaking news. No side effects but no positive effects. Back to the drawing board for me, but hope it works for others...