• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

• Safety Notice: This section on Psychiatric Drugs/Medications enables people to share their personal experiences of using such drugs/medications. Always seek the advice of your doctor, psychiatrist or other qualified health professional before making any changes to your medications or with any questions you may have regarding drugs/medications. In considering coming off psychiatric drugs it is very important that you are aware that most psychiatric drugs can cause withdrawal reactions, sometimes including life-threatening emotional and physical withdrawal problems. In short, it is not only dangerous to start taking psychiatric drugs, it can also be dangerous to stop them. Withdrawal from psychiatric drugs should only be done carefully under experienced clinical supervision.

Escitatopram, lamotrigin anyone?

S

SandAndStars

Hi,
Anyone had experience with these plus risperidon?
Thanks in advance

Tawny

Tawny

Staff member
Forum Guide
I take both Escitalopram and Lamotrigine. I have taken Risperidone too, but not at the moment.

Tawny

Tawny

Staff member
Forum Guide

JessisMe

JessisMe

I take Lamotrigine and used to take Escitalopram.

S

SandAndStars

Only worried about the beginning of treatment because of the mix, (been on antipsychotics so long, never antidep or mood stabilizer) but I guess I should trust it, and report if anything goes wrong

Tawny

Tawny

Staff member
Forum Guide
There were quite a lot of side effects following the start of Lamotrigine for me, but i persisted and it has turned out to be the best medication i have ever had.

S

SandAndStars

Thanks a lot :)
I also believe it needs time to work out

Tawny

Tawny

Staff member
Forum Guide
As long as you remain aware of SJS, you will be fine. Be cautious, but i had the 'unexplained bruising' all over my thighs. I was very hot, extremely itchy the first few days, hair thinning for a while but now thicker than ever. I had blood blister type things in my mouth for a couple of days at a time. Skin very dry too. All passed and weren't too bad. No weight gain, great sleep, not too sedated. Escitalopram i have never had any side effects from.

I am concerned about long term eye health but my optician says all is fine.

If you are female, you cannot allow yourself to get pregnant on Lamotrigine. You may also be low in some vitamins like folic acid. A good multivit will help. You need to be careful with sugar too.

It really is the best in my opinion. It doesn't sound like it ;) but it is very mild compared to others.

S

SandAndStars

I appreciate your help very much 😊
Hope it works out.
It is the first time on this many pills, these 3 plus one more in need, but after the shock i realized they had to firstly mix and see what is ok

JessisMe

JessisMe

I never had side effects from Lamotrigine or Escitalopram but I am usually very med tolerant. xo, j

S

SandAndStars

Thanks alot,
Glad to hear that 😊
I heard that it needs about 3 weeks for meds to kick in, could be different for everyone though

TAME_that_PAIN

TAME_that_PAIN

We surely are all different. Most of the meds I currently take are considered contra-indicated by most docs. Yet I can't tolerate a single SSRI even on its own, and I'm fine with lamotrigine, until I get to week 4 then I nod off any time of the day, even at the lowest dose. For myself, I find the older drugs generally more tolerable than the newer ones. Strange.

P

Pollypop

I am on lamotragine, Mirtazapine and duloxatine.

I was due to change from Duloxatine to Venlafaxine but I have had to
have my blood pressure controlled before I can take Venlafaxine.

I’m quite scared of the change.

Has anyone had experience of either
Lamotragine, Mirtazapine and duloxatine
or
Lamotragine , Mirtazapine and Venlafaxine.

TAME_that_PAIN

TAME_that_PAIN

I am on lamotragine, Mirtazapine and duloxatine.

I was due to change from Duloxatine to Venlafaxine but I have had to
have my blood pressure controlled before I can take Venlafaxine.

I’m quite scared of the change.

Has anyone had experience of either
Lamotragine, Mirtazapine and duloxatine
or
Lamotragine , Mirtazapine and Venlafaxine.
Do you know what the nickname for Mirtazepine + Venlafaxine is? Californian Rocket Fuel! Even docs sometimes refer to the cocktail as that.
Mirtazapine is commonly sedating 30mg and under, but as the dose goes up it can become quite activating. Duloxetine has a more even balance at promoting more of an even serotonin + noradrenaline action, whereas Venlafaxine is more or less an SSRI having a small NRI effect in comparison unless you go above the 225mg range. But together with Mirtazapine? Noradrenaline galore! Great if you're the depressed "can't get out of bed type'. But I never tried it as that's far too much noradrenaline for my anxiety.
If the doses aren't high though, it won't be much of a problem. Here's a FACTUAL scientific-based study abstract (PubMed) regarding the combo. Venlafaxine-mirtazapine combination in the treatment of persistent depressive illness - PubMed Lots more similar study papers out there. If you read one, make sure it comes with references, and if possible check the references out.
As for your anxiety around the switch, stay in regular contact with your doctor, and remember the majority of medications with an SRI action often begin with a slight heightening of anxiety before the antidepressant and anxiolytic effects fully kick in. And as you are already taking duloxetine which already has an SSRI action, you may not experience any start-up anxiety because you're switching. Not coming off one then starting another, correct?

Last edited by a moderator: