• Safety Notice: This section on Psychiatric Drugs/Medications enables people to share their personal experiences of using such drugs/medications. Always seek the advice of your doctor, psychiatrist or other qualified health professional before making any changes to your medications or with any questions you may have regarding drugs/medications. In considering coming off psychiatric drugs it is very important that you are aware that most psychiatric drugs can cause withdrawal reactions, sometimes including life-threatening emotional and physical withdrawal problems. In short, it is not only dangerous to start taking psychiatric drugs, it can also be dangerous to stop them. Withdrawal from psychiatric drugs should only be done carefully under experienced clinical supervision.

Escitalopram vs. Citalopram?

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

It's been a while since i've been on here.
Hope everyone I know here has been keeping well, or at least hanging in there.

So, has anybody had experience of both citalopram and escitalopram? (Not at the same time, obviously).

I've been on citalopram for 7 years. It's ok for depression, but it's not doing much for my anxiety at all.

My understanding is that escitalopram comes better recommended for dealing with anxiety.
I'd like to know if there's much truth in that? Has escitalopram helped anybody who's an anxious mess?

I'm at my wits end with my anxiety and i'm considering asking to change over. If it's not a huge difference, I won't bother.

ScaredCat

ScaredCat

Is good to see you SS. I take Citalopram and also Pregabalin which is for anxiety . No experience of Escitalopram.

N

ninnie

I'm on escitalopram, but not at all sure what it does, it's my first medication.
I do think it might have lessened my anxiety.

The things I've especially noticed:
– I haven't rearranged things in my room at night because they look scary in the dark (I'm very short sighted)
– It took a while for my fear of wasps to build up this summer. The first lonely ones I faced with calm, but being constantly bugged at two summer cottages set me off eventually.
– Maybe I talk to strangers with a bit more ease, but I'm not sure
– My 'after thoughts' don't last as long
– I haven't had that much or been scared of physical pains/symptoms like heart beating uncomfortably
– Also find sleeping easy

But yeah, this is also the first time these issues have been addressed in any way, so it might be that I've just been changing my behavior with or without the drug. Just caring less and bothering less with worry.

My psychiatrist just recently increased the dose to 15 mg from 10.

Rod Whiteley

Rod Whiteley

My understanding is that citalopram and escitalopram have exactly the same active ingredient, so there cannot possibly be any difference between them. The only reason escitalopram exists is for marketing purposes.

Having said that, I've just had a conversation with someone who saw this discussion on my screen, and she said she found escitalopram much better than citalopram for anxiety. I don't know how that can be true, unless different doses explain it. She has since had therapy and no longer takes either.

There are several other drugs that might be worth discussing with your doctor.

C

Clandestine Rob

My understanding is that citalopram and escitalopram have exactly the same active ingredient, so there cannot possibly be any difference between them. The only reason escitalopram exists is for marketing purposes.

Having said that, I've just had a conversation with someone who saw this discussion on my screen, and she said she found escitalopram much better than citalopram for anxiety. I don't know how that can be true, unless different doses explain it. She has since had therapy and no longer takes either.

There are several other drugs that might be worth discussing with your doctor.
There is a difference in the isomers... citalopram is 50% lava isomer and 50% dextro isomer (the left and right to what makes up the chemical, you know, in chemistry terms) escitalopram is a mirror image dextro isomer.. and meant to have less side effects since the Dex isomer has been found to be better tolerated by the central nervous system :) psychopharmacology is my thing :)

They are very similar though and it could be argued that making a mirror image of the isomer is a marketing ploy.

Peace