• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Escitalopram And Anxiety

A

AndrewDN

Hi there,I did post in April,I was waking up with anxiety early morning and had been taking Sertraline for over 20years,I was switched to Escitalopram 10mg which up to now has been fine. Last week I started with terrible anxiety again and the Escitalopram has been upped to 15mg but I feel worse,sleep problems,on edge,sweating,exhausted. Should I persevere with the higher dose or drop back down to 10? I started the higher dose Monday so i’ve had 3 doses.
Thanks,Andrew

fragrant_violet

fragrant_violet

It's kinda odd that an AD what was working ok for 5 months would suddenly poop out on you

The increase doesn't sound much but it's a 50% increase. It's normal to get side egfects when you raise the dose

So I'd hang on it a week or two but see your doc if it don't improve

A

AndrewDN

Thanks Fragrant_violet for replying. As I said back in April,I had been on Sertraline for 20+ years and was relatively stable,though looking back it was a long time to take the same antidepressant. I have been feeling ok on Escitalopram,though my GP said from the start he could increase it,I didn’t think I’d need it yet. I spoke to my GP yesterday and wants me to persevere and has given me Diazepam for the bad spots,he thinks some of it is down to increasing the dose and should settle.He is contacting me next week to check.I’ve always suffered from anxiety and depression but have had these sort of problems since having Covid last November,though that may just be coincidence.

B

BlueWater

I tried Escitalopram 5mg for five days this month. My anxiety was already not great but I had panic attacks by Clonazepam. On day three, one ear starting to ring for a few seconds, on day four another ear. By day 5, I had a persistent high-pitched buzz in my ears and both my ears and jaw were hurting. My doc told me to stop Escitalopram and gave me Propranolol to calm the physical symptoms of my anxiety. I'm supposed to try Buspar soon and use Propranolol as needed. Maybe when my anxiety is more under control I can try Escitalopram again if needed. I did have night sweats with it and a brief wave of panic every afternoon.

B

BlueWater

I meant to say I had panic attacks under control with Clonazepam. My doc said he didn't think this was a side effect of Escitalopram, rather my anxiety getting too high.

fragrant_violet

fragrant_violet

Thanks Fragrant_violet for replying. As I said back in April,I had been on Sertraline for 20+ years and was relatively stable,though looking back it was a long time to take the same antidepressant. I have been feeling ok on Escitalopram,though my GP said from the start he could increase it,I didn’t think I’d need it yet. I spoke to my GP yesterday and wants me to persevere and has given me Diazepam for the bad spots,he thinks some of it is down to increasing the dose and should settle.He is contacting me next week to check.I’ve always suffered from anxiety and depression but have had these sort of problems since having Covid last November,though that may just be coincidence.
The covid is coincidence. Presumably you already recovered. Ive had it twice. When you get covid, there is a tendency to blame it on everything else.

Sounds like you got a good doc there. You'll be fine

stevie_sloth

stevie_sloth

As someone who has kind of alternated between Sertraline and Escitalopram for several years, a few things come to mind...

- After being on Sertraline for 20 years, I'm wondering if ANY SSRI type antidepressants may not be effective anymore, and if maybe trying another type like SNRI or MAOI might work better,

- I think Escitalopram is supposed to be one of better meds for anxiety, but everyone is different and it may have the opposite effect on you,

- If you can, I'd wait and see for another 1-2 weeks on the 15mg dose. It may end up working. If it gets too hard, just drop back to 10mg and go back to your doctor and see what other options might be better.

(For me personally, 10mg of Escitalopram has always been like taking nothing, and 15mg many years ago was too much - it made me more depressed and sleepy / apathetic, but now, 15mg feels a bit better than how I was recently on the Sertraline 100mg, and actually feels like it's doing something unlike when I was on 10mg. I'm still 90% depressed though)

A

AndrewDN

Thanks again for your replies,I’ve been here before but it never seems to get easier.My GP says it will improve but I don’t quite believe them. I reduced the Escitalopram back to 10mg last week after not feeling well,so restarted the increased dose on Friday,but I thought Escitalopram was one of the quicker acting ones,today’s my 5th higher dose and the really bad anxiety has improved but I’m still a bit ‘on edge’ and bit of a low mood.Am I wanting too much too soon? I just feel very apprehensive about everything

T

Traveler5

I've been on Escitalopram (Lexapro) before and for me it took at least 2-4 weeks for it to kick in. Maybe you're just not giving it enough time? I do have to say, it was one the shortest-lasting antidepressants I've ever been on. It pooped out on me after just 6 months. But that's me.

A

AndrewDN

I've been on Escitalopram (Lexapro) before and for me it took at least 2-4 weeks for it to kick in. Maybe you're just not giving it enough time? I do have to say, it was one the shortest-lasting antidepressants I've ever been on. It pooped out on me after just 6 months. But that's me.
Thanks for replying Traveler5,If Escitalopram didn’t last for you can I ask what you tried after? My serious anxiety has lessened but I feel really down,I’ve had 8 higher dose tablets now

A

AndrewDN

After (another) discussion with GP I am now to stop Escitalopram altogether and start Venlafaxine. I am happy to give anything a try at the moment as I haven’t felt right for over a fortnight,but the Dr has concerned me by going on about blood pressure,I have to have it checked a fortnight after starting it.How safe is it?