Escitalapram for anxiety >>

T

turbostella

Hi all,

just wondering how other people feel about escitalapram for anxiety?

I have been on this now for nearly 6 weeks at 10mg - the first few weeks I felt god awful and had to take diazapam for the first week to take the edge off. I don't really feel it's had much of an impact, although maybe slightly taken the edge off my anxiety.

I was previously on paroxatine and came off this about 4 years ago and felt this was more effective initially, although over time its effectiveness obviously started to diminish.

I have had a few hypnotherapy sessions which I don't really feel have done a great deal, and am due to have my first CBT session on Monday so will see how that goes. Feel my anxiety is very deep routed (have been suffering since I was about 7 years old) so unsure how effective it will be.

On week 6 of being off work and really need to go back, just extremely worried I'll end up going off sick again, so frustrating :(

L

lovagemuffin

I found citralopram to be one of the best anti depressants but they took me off it and put me on sertraline I really liked citrlopram but my in a bubble of fake happiness.

T

Thoth

I really do not understand why they would give you Escitalopram (Lexapro) to help with your anxiety. Yeah okay if your main problem in life is depression. The fact you had to take Valium to take the edge off tells me in my opinion that Escitalopram is not the drug you should on. What do they hope to achieve? boost your serotonin levels so you feel better?

If they wanted an anti-depressent and an anxiolytic they could'v given you Mianserin. Though Mianserin is a pretty strong anti-depressant, much more so that Escitalopram. If they wanted to give you an anxiolytic for anxiety they could've just given you Klonopin. Klonopin is less addictive that Diazepam, and good for long term use.

V

Verity

I really do not understand why they would give you Escitalopram (Lexapro) to help with your anxiety. Yeah okay if your main problem in life is depression. The fact you had to take Valium to take the edge off tells me in my opinion that Escitalopram is not the drug you should on. What do they hope to achieve? boost your serotonin levels so you feel better?

If they wanted an anti-depressent and an anxiolytic they could'v given you Mianserin. Though Mianserin is a pretty strong anti-depressant, much more so that Escitalopram. If they wanted to give you an anxiolytic for anxiety they could've just given you Klonopin. Klonopin is less addictive that Diazepam, and good for long term use.
Hi Thoth,

It seems to be pretty standard practice in the UK to prescribe SSRI's for anxiety / panic disorder in tandem with diazepam to minimise the side start up side effects.

Turbostella,

I've been on Escitalopram for panic disorder to little effect for the past few years. I have only continued to take them as the withdrawal side effects are the same as the start up effects when I have tried to taper. I am considering trying beta blockers short term alongside exposure therapy once I have tapered.

I did find CBT really helpful in and hope that you do too. Claire Weekes book Self Help for Your Nerves really helped me. You can find some of her audios to download from this link Relax
:hug:

T

Thoth

Hi Thoth,

It seems to be pretty standard practice in the UK to prescribe SSRI's for anxiety / panic disorder in tandem with diazepam to minimise the side start up side effects.
Maybe it's because Australia is my domiciled residence, and they have different ideas; although giving SSRIs for anxiety would never happen over here. you're usually given either Valium, Klonopin, Ativan or Xanax instead. From my experience, after 6 hospital visits, they have a tendency of going with Valium or Ativan. GP's prefer Klonopin.

T

turbostella

Hi, thanks for your replies.

I have been on 10mg of escitalopram now for 6 weeks and I really don't feel like it's had much of an effect. Have my first CBT session on Monday so hopefully that will start to do some good.

Was originally just off work wit anxiety, but now starting to feel really depressed, I think because I've been off work so long. Just want to sleep all the time and not do anything...