• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

ESA

firemonkey

firemonkey

Both my brother and i who are HIV+ and long term mentally ill respectively are worried silly by these changes.

Both of us are prone to paranoia without the moral abomination that is New Labour ramping up that paranoia and indeed stress far higher.

Unfortunately a number of mental health professionals whose first priority should be the welfare of their clients are all too willing to go along with the government's bullying and hounding of the mentally ill.

Mental health professionals primary task should be that of caring for and helping their clients. Unfortunately whilst once most worked to do so with varying degrees of aptitude nowadays some or many mental health professionals have becoming willing government agents.
Their task, as they see it, is to help facilitate a reactionary and repressive government policy towards the mentally ill and the effects on the mentally ill be damned.

It is hard to trust mental health professionals when given the choice between helping you and pleasing this government they will so willingly do the latter.
That lack of trust makes it hard for me to engage and open up with the very people that should be there to help people like me.
On more than a few occasions it's crossed my mind that some of them might be government agents. That might sound silly to those with no first hand experience of mental illness, or for that matter experience of such in a third hand way as a carer etc paranoia, but nevertheless it's
the kind of thing that's being going through my head regularly on account of these changes.

With a recession looming and unemployment figures steadily rising this abomination of a government still presses forward. Where are all these miraculous jobs going to appear from at a time when even those with no mental health problems are going to be at increased risk of unemployment and subsequent difficulty in finding new employment?

Many people with mental illness, who were not living in opulence anyway, contrary to what the likes of the Daily Heil and Daily Excess would have people believe, are going to see their already low living standards diminished further.

The stress of trying to make ends meet which can be hard enough as things stand will be increased and anyone who knows the slightest thing about mental illness(ie not NL or Prof Layard or the execrable David FREUD Whose combined knowledge about mental illness could fit on a pin head) knows full well how stress can exacerbate and worsen mental health conditions.

I also feel sorry for the carers and loved ones of the mentally ill who will be the ones struggling as best they can to protect their loved ones from the full negative effect of this demonising of the mentally ill and or physically disabled.
This government not content with taking such people for granted is hell bent on making their lives even harder with these changes.

Meanwhile they'll turn a blind eye to the obscene bonuses and golden handshakes paid to the high fliers of industry irrespective of whether they have done a competent job or not and to the billions of tax revenue that the rich and super rich deliberately avoid paying each year.

spiritual_emergency

spiritual_emergency

In a post elsewhere I had suggested that the problem is that the needs of "the system" end up taking precedence so that the client -- who presumably comes first -- ends up coming last. I do share your frustration and your concerns. And I wish I felt more optimistic myself but I don't. Globally, we're looking at lean economic times and I've yet to see benefits and services ever increase during those periods.

However, that doesn't mean people are powerless and care should be taken to not fall into that mindset. There are always options. Resources are still available, but they might be a little more difficult to find. That means that people still need solid information regarding their legal rights. They still need solid information regarding medications and alternatives to same such as generic brands. Some sticky topics might be helpful in that regard since much of that information is probably available online somewhere.

They also need to network with others who have filled out the paperwork and sat through the appointments and thus, can share pointers, hints, tips, insights. Those who are in close proximity to one another are particularly well positioned to share resources, up to and including food and shelter. That doesn't mean it's right of course, or that people should have to do such things. But doing what is necessary doesn't always mean doing what is fair.

.​

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
Whats worrying is i spend a lot of my waking time cooking shopping cleaning, if i was paid the same to work i wouldn't have the time for cheap meals cheap shopping etc, as it is the drugs encourage too much sleeping

I must be saving the system a fortune by coping with minimal support, i unfortunately feel that if i am questioned they'll hold things like not having a carer against me