• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

ESA work assessment

D

DizzieDiva

I have suffered clinical depression for as long as i can remember and came out of a long relationship a year ago.

I have been claiming JSA and ESA since October 2010 and was ordered to attend a capability for work assessment back in February.

Their decision has since come back to me and they have given me 6 points and therfore i do not qualify to recieve ESA anymore, resulting in my benefits being stopped.

I feel insulted that their decision was based on a 10 minute assessment with a doctor that has only met me that once. The male doctor did not appear interested in my illness at all, but typed away on his computor, taking notes, asking me questions i did not feel relevant to my illness.

I now have the stress of appealing their decision which is adding to my depression and anxiety.

Have anybody had the same experience or have any advice please

shaun3210

shaun3210

The same thing happened to me when I had my last medical around this time last year and they give me 9 points, I should have scored at least 14 points and a couple more open to interpretation. going over the questions he marked me 0 on a couple where laughable looking back.

I wrote this in my blog after I got home from the, I felt the doc who did my interview wasn't interested either:
one thing I did notice I was given very little manovering space to answer the questions he asked compared to the last medical I had, he seemed to want a either a yes/no answer, while on the first medical even tho the same questions were asked I felt more able to fully answer in detail, which reflected how I am more accurately.

Might be just down to his questioning style or a harder approach to get people off benefits? Will have to wait for the results, I took an online test with the same questions (I found the link to it on here somewhere a few weeks ago) and I scored 18 (over 10 is unfit for work), will be interesting to see what score I get if I fail the medical.”
My support worker was brilliant and got onto the local Welfare rights (CAB if you don’t have one in your area) and put in a appeal, mine was resorted pretty quickly and there was no need to go to a appeal in my case, not sure how it will work with you having 6, but i was told a lot of people had their points reduced to 0 from being in double figures!

I cant advise highly enough to get help with the appeal, Welfare Rights also helped me with the DLA form and apply for income support and I received both now which has been a really nice boost to my money.

Hope you get it sorted quickly:)

B

Blondie

I know people with terminal degenerative illnesses who have been turned down for ESA full stop and have to appeal. Ridiculous!!

B

Blondie

ESA programme 10pm BBC 1 Wed 26th May
TV programme tonight, Wednesday 26th May. Who's Cheating Who?, which questions whether employment and support allowance is fit for purpose and whether profits are being put before welfare, is on at 10.45pm on BBC1 Scotland. (Even if you don’t live in Scotland, you should be able to watch if you have freeview ,Sky or cable TV). We know that many Benefits and Work members provided information to the makers of this programme.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
Scotland up north they have more of a conscience about people on benefits, no one cares less in london one argument for emigrating up north

dib4uk

dib4uk

ESA and Atos despreatly need to be changed, even by the governments statistics they didnt expect such a "high" amount of people found "fit" enough to work.

M

maudikie

Get some help with yur apeal. Get all your paperwork in order. There should now be advocates to help.
Try not to worry too much, and all best wishes.

I

ian86

hi i just want some advice i been on esa for 6 months now, and i have to go for a esa medical on the 11th and i am worried about it. i was working for 4 years, but i got sent home coz i was really upset and i havent been back since. its been a year now. i got told i have got diabetes and i have got depression and anxiety. but my doctor said its very complexed problems that i have and hes thinks i have more then depression and anxiety. so he sent me to see some 1 they said the same its more then deprssion and anxiety. so i got sent to see a women psychological therapies. i have been sent a letter saying i have to waiy 20 months because there is a big waiting list. so my doctor now has sent me to see a psychologist and i am still waiting to hear off then. i am currently on citalopram 40 mg mebeverine for ibs and loperamide hydrochloride capsules for my ids the doctor says its because of my depression. i am just worried about my medical as i have read some back stuff online. how much chance have i got on passing my medical. and will it matter i have not seen a psychologist and have not been diagnosed yet. x

Madman

Madman

Hi Ian,

best thing to do is ask your GP if they can write a detailed letter of your illnesses for you to take to the medical with you. When you are there, explain your troubles as though you were suffering the worst day you have ever had. Don't act as though you are fine at the moment - that will get you nowhere fast. Don't just answer yes or no either, even if that's all they ask for. Make them understand that your condition has worsened since you left work and that you are having a lot of trouble coping. Explain that you are waiting for a referral to come through that your GP has made for you.

They may not ask you everything you are expecting them to, so you must make them understand the full extent of your illness and exactly how if affects your day to day living.

Best of luck - let us know how you get on.

I

ian86

ok i will do i asked the doctor he said it will cost me 50 pound. i have got a supporting letter tho from a women i seen not sure what her tittle is . do u think if i phone the hospital where i got referred to they will send me the letter the docter write to them. coz he told me he write it all in that letter. i have got some 1 from the mental health service to come with me. just never been to a medical before. will they phone my doctor if i ask them to and he can tell them on phone.

Madman

Madman

ok i will do i asked the doctor he said it will cost me 50 pound. i have got a supporting letter tho from a women i seen not sure what her tittle is . do u think if i phone the hospital where i got referred to they will send me the letter the docter write to them. coz he told me he write it all in that letter. i have got some 1 from the mental health service to come with me. just never been to a medical before. will they phone my doctor if i ask them to and he can tell them on phone.
Why is he saying it will cost £50? Is he a private doctor? Sounds ridiculous to me! My GP has written letters for me free of charge.

You could ask for a copy of the letter your GP wrote to the hospital - I think you are entitled to a copy of you ask. I'm afraid they won't ring your GP - they won't make it that easy for you I'm afraid - they will actually be doing their best to avoid giving you any benefits at all. You have to make them believe what you are telling them, it's not easy as you will have seen from other members on this board.

Anyway, take all the letters you possibly can, as long as they are giving detailed information on your current mental health. It's good that you have someone going with you - make sure you know what they are going to say before you get there - you don't want to give any conflicting information.

I

ian86

i asked he said a medical report is 50 pound and would not give me 1 thanks anyway m8

Madman

Madman

i asked he said a medical report is 50 pound and would not give me 1 thanks anyway m8
Oh well... I'm sorry about that. I thought GPs were there to do their best for people, not make things worse! I hope it goes well for you :)

H

Hope & Hope

I live in constant fear of ESA work capability assessments. Every 6 months i am called in for assessment and incorrectly deemed 'fit for work' and then must endure lengthy, stressful appeals. I have plenty of supporting evidence from my GP and mental health professionals, but this never seems to be taken into account until it reaches the appeal stage. Their original decision has been overturned several times, but as soon as the decision is revised in my favour, the process begins all over again. I seem to spend all my time worrying about fighting ATOS and the DWP, and there is little time and energy left to concentrate on getting better. Is anyone else having the same problem?