• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

ESA result

R

riverofdragons

Hi all,

I just got my result through the post and they have placed me in the support group so my benefit has increased and they will apparently stop bothering me all the time.

I am so relieved as the stress of this stupid benefit has been making me even iller than usual.

I wanted to thank everyone who has posted their experiences on here because I read and reread every message, took on board all your recommendations and learned from any problems you encountered and it really helped me through the process. Thank You all.

In turn I will try to help anyone else who is going through the process, if I can.

:grouphug:

KP1

KP1

Founding Member
Hopefully you will have a chance now to concentrate on yourself and getting well.

R

riverofdragons

Yes, I really can focus on getting better....and getting my degree :)

Then I will be fighting to sort out this benefit so that the whole process is not so difficult and stressful for people with mental health problems.

In principle, for physical health problems the system is not too bad, but for people with mental health problems its a nightmare that amounts to torchure!

I will add bits of advice here as I remember it...

R

riverofdragons

1) Take someone with you into the medical.

My memory is bad and I barely remember the appointment now, just a couple of weeks on. But my carer (best friend) came with me and he can remember everything that was asked and how I was treated.

I also forget important things that the doctor wanted to know, so with my carers help we were able to give a better picture of my everyday struggles. Including things like he is scared to leave me alone sometimes...which he wouldn't tell me directly.

2) Prepare!

The booklet they send is quite useful as it tells you to:

- bring all of your medications with you

- make a list of relevant dates in medical history (doctors seen, hospital stays, missing work, giving up work, last time you were able to go out alone etc)

- make a list of aids you use (physical aids, alarms for meds etc)

dib4uk

dib4uk

riverofdragons, thats great news about your ESA. YAY!!!! Very happy for you........

I also suggest that if someone is faced with a tribunial or even the medical, to take a professional with you who knows the system and can help you prepare and gather the relevant files that is required at either the tribunial or the medical assesment.

I am now at the stage where after getting my ESA and DLA I'm in the process of complanining to ATOS about the treatment and lacking of medical knowledge that the "doctor" showed me at the time.

:grouphug:

R

riverofdragons

I am glad someone has the energy to complain. Thank you.

I was very lucky with the doctor I saw for ESA and I didn't need a medical for my DLA. However I will say that being kept waiting for 45minutes, in chairs that hurt even my carers back and left me barely able to stand, felt like a test in and of itself!

No wonder I was a jibbering wreck by the time I saw any one!

gray

gray

wow I still haven't even had a letter about the tribunial yet