• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

ESA problems and GP won't give sick note.

L

lunaloomer

Hello,

I've had severe depression and anxiety since I was 17 and applied for ESA around the start of October. I saw a GP around that time who gave me a sick note for but for only 2 weeks as she was temporary there.

Since that sick note ran out I've been trying my absolute hardest to get further sick notes from my normal GP who, upon explaining my situation, basically told me to "get a job" (even though I'm NOT fit for work, that's why I've applied for ESA in the first place??) leaving me with no money to live on.

I tried a different GP at the same surgery who, again denied me a sick note, but referred me to a local mental health team. My plan is to talk to them about it and ask if they can send a letter to my GP explaining my situation, because in all honesty I have NO idea what I'm supposed to do? How am I expected to live on nothing? The whole system is incredibly messed up and it's making me so stressed out and I've been having frequent suicidal thoughts. I can barely get out of bed.

The mental health assessment isn't for another month and I've pretty much lost all hope. ESA was the only thing keeping me vaguely afloat. What can I do??

E

english rose

Oh no Lunaloomer, I can empathize because my GP(s) are completely unhelpful & getting sick notes or any help out of them re benefits is like getting blood out of a stone. Have you tried every GP at the practice? I find that they vary, none are really good, but some are worse than others. If you can't get help from any of the GPs at the practice where you are registered, then could you change practice? Hopefully the mental health team will help you, at least the GP got that appointment sorted for you; can you get JSA in the meantime?

L

lunaloomer

There is one other GP at the practice, going to ask her in a couple of days. If that fails then I'll have to register at another practice and try them. Could really do without all this messing about as it's making my condition ten times worse and I'm feeling closer and closer to giving up... but there is that little bit of hope.

JSA is not really an option for me at the moment, I was on it several times before but had massive difficulty attending appointments (severe anxiety, sometimes I could push myself to go, sometimes I just couldn't) so they stopped it.

Emily

Last edited:
E

english rose

Oh dear, I understand, I'm having similar troubles at the moment & it is making my mental health worse, even my physical health though I can't prove that (I think a large & sore & painful boil on my leg was brought about by stress). I think there are 7 or 8 doctors at my practice & I think I've seen all of them, I have now formed an opinion on who is my favourite & in future I will only see him (if possible, obviously if it's an emergency then I'd have to take whoever was available).

I have never been on JSA & am desperately trying to avoid it, I am currently waiting for the first-tier tribunal (who rejected my appeal & sided with the DWP) to give me permission to go to the upper tribunal - I've been waiting for over 4 weeks now; I am still being paid at the assessment rate - ie the same amount as JSA. I was on unemployment benefit between about 1991 & 1996 & I signed on, in those days you just turned up at the job centre once a fortnight & signed a piece of paper & then walked out, maybe once a year they'd call you in for an assessment to see what jobs you'd been applying for......

L

lunaloomer

I really hope it works out for you, it doesn't seem so much to ask does it, to be able to stay afloat when everyone else has it so much easier, it's not our fault we have illnesses and need as much help as we can get. Have heard so much about people having to go to upper tribunal and it's utterly disgraceful. My sympathy is with you.

Have an appointment tomorrow morning and am absolutely terrified that I won't say the "right" things, been such a mess the past few days and can't even get out of bed... can't even imagine what the ESA assessment must be like.