• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

esa - permitted work?

Sparklypurplepaws

Sparklypurplepaws

Hi,
I'm looking to try and go back to work part time, I've been on income related esa - support group for two years.
I've read about permitted work under esa but I just can't get my head around the info on the gov. Website.
I'm reading into it that I can work up to 16 hours a week, earning up to £100 a week for 52 weeks - is that right?
Anybody got any info on this?

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
Hi,
I'm looking to try and go back to work part time, I've been on income related esa - support group for two years.
I've read about permitted work under esa but I just can't get my head around the info on the gov. Website.
I'm reading into it that I can work up to 16 hours a week, earning up to £100 a week for 52 weeks - is that right?
Anybody got any info on this?
i can't get my head round the beurocracy, would rather stick to what i know, i'd be worried that though permittted work is allowed it might be in practice held against me in later claims

Unique1

Unique1

From what I can gather, yes you are entitled to complete permitted work and still recieve ESA and earn, I think, it's £99.00 pw. The thing is if you recieve housing benefit not sure if it would affect that, if it does then maybe that could take a chunk of the money. If you are considering this I would take some advice first just in case. CAB I guess would be best place to go to. I know they are ususally quite busy but can get appointment to speak to someone who knows about benefits, in particular permitted work. Go armed with all the questions. Good luck x

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
you may be able to do permitted work but whether it'll be held against you at future benefit reviews, nowadays i try to keep below the dwp radar