• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

ESA coming to an end though appealing against decision...

Colin76

Colin76

Founding Member
I have received a letter from the job centre telling me that from November 2012 my current payments of esa will be stopped as i wil have come to the end of the 356 day entitlement period. I am currently appealing against their decision that i am fit for full time employment after going to one of their medical assesments and only scoring 7 points out of 15 points. i'm just getting over my third major manic relapse as well as 4 depressive eppisodes since 2007 and they tell me i'm ok. my g.p and psychiatrist have both told me if i wish to return to work it's got to be when i'm ready and has got to be part time only and can be nothing where there is responibilty involved as it could cause another relapse.

wendolene26

wendolene26

I shake my head every time I hear of yet another person being turned down for ESA as ATOS have deemed them fit to work. I attended an ATOS interview in 2009 when I was off sick from work with severe anxiety and depression for nearly a year. I really didn't have the energy to fight them and I hadn't found this forum by then so I didn't know that there was an appeals process I could go through.

Surely instead of writing to you to advise that you are no longer eligible due to the 12 month period coming to an end, they should be inviting you for another assessment or asking for supporting documentation from your GP and your mental health workers.

I didn't have the knowledge nor the energy to fight so ended up having to go back to work due to my financial situation (or lack of!) and struggling terribly with a new job. I'm fairly certain that had I appealed and come back to work when I was good and ready I wouldn't still be in the midsts of this episode of depression that I still find myself in.

Sorry I hope my reply hasn't hi-jacked your thread, I just felt compelled to offer my support by way of expressing my anger at the way we, as a group of people get treated. I did have a rather heated discussion with a woman at work the other week who basically said that as far as the DSS is concerned mental health issues are basically the new "bad back syndrome". I had to finish my lunch hurridly and go back to the santury of my office before I did or said something I'd regret.

From what I've read that others have written on here, I think the key is getting the appeal in as soon as possible, and back it up with as much supporting documentation from GP, Mental Health Workers etc as posssible.

best of luck mate,

Wendolene x

dib4uk

dib4uk

Colin, good luck on the appeal, rememeber your more likely to win on appeal than anything.

Colin76

Colin76

Founding Member
Blimey, got a letter throught the post telling my appeal review is going to me on the 25th of this month.

U

Unloved

id ring and ask them at the Dwp If you can send in any more Supporting Evidence ((if you havent already done so? 'Sorry.)) ,.also take alook at the 'Benefits and Work' website for further information, and visit your local CAB for additional support and Legal advice.

Colin76

Colin76

Founding Member
Well i went for my appeal hearing last Friday the 25th and passed though was told that because i have done some volunteering work in the past i will more than likely be placed in the work related activity group. Has anyone else been placed in this group and if so what do they do.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Tabitha Returning to work and coming off ESA Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 1
Sharyhn Esa the second coming Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 4
E ESA Appeal Tribual Coming Up Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 1
E ESA Appeal Tribual Coming Up Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 1
Funnyday ESA court case about receiving £1500 backdated payment Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 6
M Esa reviews Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 2
Tawny Moving House? - ESA to UC and new GP Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 5
M Waiting for ESA review Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 3
W News re: PIP and ESA reviews Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 0
W PIP/ESA/UC face-to-face assessments suspended. Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 1
M Help failed ESA tribunual Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 1
Funnyday ESA reduction from February 2021 Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 69
PinkCandyFloss More PIP crap and ESA Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 5
L ESA Support group - no assessment - stunned! Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 12
Tawny ESA support group and wrag group info Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 0
D ESA Support Group! Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 11
P Need help with first time ESA assessment / ESA 50 / Severe mental health issues Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 13
N PIP/ESA - if you use medical terms to describe your symptoms? Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 4
Rachybz Esa and pip advice needed Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 7
Luci ESA work capability assessment Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 8
S Esa and pip experiences Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 35
R Can I go to college whilst in the ESA support group? Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 7
Screechout Esa/work assessment descion time scale Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 35
M Been cut off from ESA.... Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 43
Luci ESA? Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 3
J Representing myself at ESA tribunal? Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 4
Funnyday Esa reward Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 4
M Can I do a course at the Open University if I'm on ESA and PIP? Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 16
S help needed esa Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 5
W Anyone else been paid ESA early? Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 31
W ESA assessment Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 2
soulsearcher do you have to let esa or pip know if youre in hospital? Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 7
Mayflower7 ESA Income based Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 11
N ESA Reassessment Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 61
N A question about PIP and ESA Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 3
Artmuzz ESA not paid in bank Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 5
P how long does it take to hear back about my reconsideration on ESA Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 2
E Help - ESA Face to Face assessment Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 7
cloudberry ESA and PIP together? Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 3
S My Friendly messsage to ESA 18+ Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 1
L Esa Stopped Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 2
Funnyday ESA, PIP and State Pension Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 5
A ESA Support Group - any interviews necessary Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 5
I Wrag to support group ESA Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 4
L Esa assesment Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 17
J ESA Home Visit in the morning - please help! Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 20
Artmuzz PIP and ESA support group enquiry Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 4
albie Watch out for this trick-ESA Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 15
S Can I still recieve ESA benefit while studying? Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 3
B DWP Has No Record Of My ESA Assessment Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 1