Esa and pip experiences

S

Stockwood

I received both my esa renewal form and dla to pip form in the same week which was bad enough when you have serious mental health problems, incl severe anxiety and depression, but then the whole thing became a nightmare for multiple reasons. The dwp are a joke. They should be renamed the dept for worry and persecution.

NWiddi

NWiddi

I hate filling those things in, I usually give my care coordinator a call and he pops round and helps me.

Good luck with yours.

P

Pink1234

:welcome:

I can’t help with the forms as I’ve had my own poor experience of the benefits system.

I just wanted to say welcome and express the hope that you find support here.

N

nightmare57

My care coordinator wrote me an excellent letter for ESA and PIP, My supported living manager filled in both forms. I was awarded ESA but had to attend medical, the assessor said if I sent the letter in from care coordinator I wouldn't of been called to medical. With PIP sent a updated letter from care coordinator and was awarded PIP without a face to face but I don't know which rate yet... My friend who lives with me in supported living and more able then me was awarded high PIP on both, so I think its looking good for me.

S

Stockwood

Hi thanks for advice, but i no longer have a support worker and i still think the system is rigged against you. They just keep adding more and more obstacles for you to overcome.The deadlines are harsh and totally unrealistic.They got back to me within a week of posting pip form, supposedly (give me a break), having read through every page (enough of them) of detailed info, contacted all the relevant professionals and looked at evidence (which you get told will help your case; it doesn't, trust me, i have been through esa system twice ) supplied and told me my appointment has been scheduled for the following week ( now cancelled after staff member sick). They then threaten you with removal of benefits if you can't attend, despite telling them in form all the problems of getting there! The esa system is even worse. they make you attend in a city miles from where you live, in an office on the outskirts with no bus route and miles from train station. If i did not have problems making journeys i wouldn't be on esa or dla! I'm sorry, but as i said at the start, the whole system is designed to make you fail just so they can save a bit of money. Fragile mental health? Deal with the dwp and benefits system; they'll soon make it worse. Don't even get me started on assessors who have no mental health experience/knowledge, including one who said i didn't look mentally ill! I will save for another time.

N

nightmare57

I think its a unfair system. My supported living manager filled in my forms, After reading it I didn't think she explained my disabilities properly, she didn't go into depth, it was generic really, basally saying I get shared hours from support staff 7-10am 12-1pm 4 -6pm. And I get 21 hours a week one to one, also staff being on-sight 24/7. Thats all really. Plus my diagnosis and medication. She just ticked the boxes without going into too much detail. I thought I would have to go to a face to face. Within a week the assessor rang her and asked her a few questions in relation to me getting aggressive in public when unwell and assessor told her that's all the information she needs and I don't have to attend a face to face. That was 2 weeks ago. Still waiting decision.

I thought not having to attend a face to face was because I have an appointee and had the strong letter from community nurse which only detailed my diagnosis and support plans, although an excellent letter.

My friend and housemate was awarded both high rate -high mobility without face to face and my supported living manager said she wrote less information in his forms then mine, she has only been the manager 7 weeks also so was going on what's in the files at the support companies offices. When she wrote my PIP they're was no exaggeration in the forms so she was truthful. He is more able then me, never been sectioned, no meds, voluntary job. No anxiety. He does have loads of other difficulties though.

I think us getting PIP without face to face is solely being down to us living in supported living. supported living for people with learning disabilities which is long term tenancies plus with a support package from social services and their backing, this is hard to get for most people particularly people without moderate learning disabilities or a mild LD with severe mental health needs.

From my experiences I have never had any problem claiming benefits in my 17 years claiming, It has made me anxious reading all the horror stories though.

PinkCandyFloss

PinkCandyFloss

I’ve had no issues with ESA, went through last year no problem and again this year when they sent the renewal. Straight into support group, no medical needed.

Just got my second PIP attempt rejected, having to mandatory reconsideration, don’t know if I can mentally cope with another appeal.
System is definitely for the most against you IMO, one of the reasons they’ve basically said I can’t get PIP is for being intelligent and understanding my conditions....what a load of ****
I feel a lot is held against me as I’m still on referral lists and struggling to be seen, as if it’s my fault the NHS have waiting lists of 2 years or more for who I need to see. Or that’s it’s my fault they can only give me one psych app every 4-5 months :(

I hope you’re a goes ok

S

Stockwood

Thanks, i just don't see how all these assessments help us. I think all they have succeeded in doing is making my mental health ten times worse. How is this beneficial? They would've known the impact it would have on us and yet they still pushed through with it. I even included a daily diary of how badly it had impacted on my mental health, including that i had begun self harming again and they have still sent me for assessment and not even bothered contacting anyone on my list (gp, psychologist etc) to alert them. System not fit for purpose.

PinkCandyFloss

PinkCandyFloss

Unfortunately the assessments aren’t really there for us, especially PIP. It’s for them to see if we are “sick enough”
ESA is apparently meant to be for us and them, so they can “give us support to get back to work” if we are able.

But having to fill in forms yearly is awful. Have you thought of typing everything up? That way you not only have a reference but can include them as additional/alternative to writing everything out again. Much easier to edit things and add things to an existing document. It’s what I’ve started doing