• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

ESA and getting married

X

XxSTACExX

Hi. Im not sure if this is the right place to post this...sorry im new here.
I am looking for advice on Being on ESA and getting married to my partner who works.

I claim ESA due to depression, anxiety and I have an easting disorder.
My partner ( who I do not live with ) works 37 hours a week and receives £1250 a month before tax. my partner and I would like to get married in the future but I wanted to know if anyone knew what would happen to my ESA if we got married?

Would my ESA stop? Would I receive any other type of benefit? I had seen someone mention working tax credit?

Thank you for any response.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
don't husbands get married persons tax allowance, i think esa is means tested and you'll be means tested as a couple so earnings will count

E

english rose

I am on ESA although the DWP are trying to force me off it & on to JSA. I am engaged, my fiance lives with his elderly mother in her 3 bedroom council house, I live alone in a private rented studio flat. I'd always assumed that if we were married & living together then he'd be expected to 'keep' me. I have lived alone for more than 20 years, I am very set in my ways, I freak out if he comes around here & uses a yoghurt spoon for tea/coffee or vice versa, so me sharing a home with someone would be tough, we're just plodding along really & will re-think the situation when his mum dies as presumably the council would evict him then.

E

english rose

I forgot to say that my fiance has got a job & earns about £20k pa.