• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Err mind control and vulnerabilty

I

imdoingthebestthatican

Hello,
It has been a while. I had really bad depression and found this site nice for ranting/reading and support. So something happened today that has made me feel really uncomfortable. Dunno who to talk to. Basically have been going througha spiritual process and my psychologist thinks that as I am unlocking lots of emotion it is usual for this to be a time of strong feelings. Anyway so Ihave been going to meditation and have met some great people but I got well upset by a flippant comment made....some of this stuffhas caused clinical paranoia. In exploring global issues and political theories a lot was made of how not everyone is ready to except these truths. I feel really vulnerable and that I am getting into something at a time when I amsearching for comfort.
Any thoughts???
Thank you!

T

Twylight

Sometimes a flippant comment can be devastating

I get it a lot from my Uncle, I wouldn't mind if he understood what he was talking about.

Try not to worry

Ashami

Ashami

Founding Member
Hello,
It has been a while. I had really bad depression and found this site nice for ranting/reading and support. So something happened today that has made me feel really uncomfortable. Dunno who to talk to. Basically have been going througha spiritual process and my psychologist thinks that as I am unlocking lots of emotion it is usual for this to be a time of strong feelings. Anyway so Ihave been going to meditation and have met some great people but I got well upset by a flippant comment made....some of this stuffhas caused clinical paranoia. In exploring global issues and political theories a lot was made of how not everyone is ready to except these truths. I feel really vulnerable and that I am getting into something at a time when I amsearching for comfort.
Any thoughts???
Thank you!
My first response to what you are saying is to question the word 'truths'. The truth to one person is a lie to another, and every one of us has a different perspective to another. So, when people claim that not everyone is ready to accept these 'truths' I would question why this group of people believe that they are privvy to the 'truth'.

You say you have been going to meditation, how would you describe the people you have met? Are they religious? Are they ethnics? I would like to know where they are coming from.

I too have been journeying on a spiritual path during my own depression. This has brought me in touch with a lot of people who would be classed as new-agers and the one thing new-agers do very successfully is NOT judge others. The common belief amongst the New Age is that we are free to believe whatever we want, as long as our beliefs harm no other. Spirituality is not about luring recruits, as most religions are, but about finding fulfillment, peace and love.

Regarding the flippant remark, just try to hold onto the knowledge that whilst you cannot be held responsible for what others say, you can be responsible for your reaction to what they say. You can choose to adopt their perception, or you can choose to recognize that it is just a perception, and not necessarily the truth.

I am curious by your title to your post, re: 'mind control'. Do you feel that you are being pushed down a certain road here?

A

Apotheosis

Basically have been going througha spiritual process and my psychologist thinks that as I am unlocking lots of emotion it is usual for this to be a time of strong feelings. Anyway so Ihave been going to meditation.....
Certain spiritual practices & meditation techniques can be incredibly powerful & cause us to enter altered states. I have been following a spiritually based Recovery path for considerable time. There has been some hairy moments. I try to be as gentle as I can be with looking after myself. I have become more & more easy on myself with things. These things are not to be rushed; & in following a spiritual journey - there are no blinding lights & overnight enlightenments - I would be very wary & suspicious of anyone that said there were. These things, in my experience are very subtle.

I

imdoingthebestthatican

Thank you very much for your thoughts.
So now I am feeling much better.
The Meditation is totally separate from the meeting that so upset me and I shared my concerns at my normal meditation meeting where my teacheragreed with me and was veryshocked and sorry that I had had this experience.
No I do not feel that my mind was being "controlled" but allthat kind of talk was nothelpful or indeed purposeful.
I started reading up about Cults and all that butthis was one man's agenda and my interpretation of his message.
In a way I feel better asthe comment about being able to control my reactions. This is very importanta nad a supportive comment, thanks.I can and am taking control of my reactions and thanks for your help too!!!!
This place is ace!:tea: