Episode length

S

Scum_dizzle

I'm very curious as to how long everyone's up and down phases last?
Its always been a curiosity of mine since being diagnosed with bipolar. My most recent manic 'up' phases lasted 2-3 months as I was unmedicated and I'm now in the 2nd month of my depressive phase. My social worker keeps saying most manic phases last a week or more, but I'm guessing that's just general guidelines.
So yeah if you want to share please do. As I said its just something I'm very curious about.

blacksmoke

blacksmoke

with me i either flat line or dip dont get the manic. get high anxiety which is bugging me tonight. so not good around folk when i am like this as for holding a job down i kept getting the sack when i was in this mode. what a miserable existence really

S

Scum_dizzle

I'm sorry your dealing with anxiety tonight. Have you tried some sort of relaxation method like taking a warm bath, drinking tea? Anything you find relaxing. I know when my anxiety hits all those relaxation tips go out he window, but I hope you feel better soom

blacksmoke

blacksmoke

got some beers in the fridge. cos like you say cant relax when i have anxiety. many thanks dizzle. the counselor i see is trying to get me to look at seperation anxiety tut bit long in the tooth for that hey but will give it a shot as there is a lot out there that explains how it effects adults.

S

Scum_dizzle

Anything is worth a shot at least once I reckon. With things like therapy you can usually tell if its going to work after the first session

C

Coast2

My episodes of depression are terribly long, months at a time with only a few days respite or perhaps a week before the next onset. I fight depression daily. I run most days outdoors, practice mindfulness and meditation, eat well, don't drink or take drugs and only one cup of coffee per day.

I don't get manic phases anymore - I used to when I was at university and I would be able to stay up for 72 hours, which was great as I'd get my essays written all in one hit!

Depressive episodes suck! - try to tell yourself it will pass and in the meantime take good care of yourself. Eat plenty of fresh home cooked food and get out for a walk every day in the fresh air. It will help.

Last edited:
Prairie Sky

Prairie Sky

It probably makes a difference between bipolar 1 and 2? My hypomanic episodes are very short - sometimes only a day or two, never more than two weeks - and they can actually be interspersed here and there in the middle of a depressive episode for a bit of variety. Besides the more severe bipolar depressions, that can last six months to a couple of years with not much time between, I have an underlying lifelong dysthymia which means I very rarely feel "level." One theory I have is that it's this underlying depression that keeps my hypomania from spiraling into mania: it generally sucks me back in before my mood can get too high.