• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

enjoy being alone

J

j_loner

I enjoy being alone. I am in my early 30's and have never had a girlfriend. I have not had a friend since school, I do not enjoy being with other people, even my family. There is nothing wrong with my family. My parents, sister and two brothers are actually a loving, outgoing mob, I'm totally the odd one out.

My hobby's are reading, watching movies and playing computer games. If I had my way, I would like to spend the rest of my life just doing these 3 things on my own.

I can put up with people and talk to them (I work in IT Support), but I hate it.

I assume there is something 'wrong' with me, but I don't want to change.

I don't know why I've written here, I guess I needed to let something out anonymously.

R

Respecting myself

I enjoy being alone. I am in my early 30's and have never had a girlfriend. I have not had a friend since school, I do not enjoy being with other people, even my family. There is nothing wrong with my family. My parents, sister and two brothers are actually a loving, outgoing mob, I'm totally the odd one out.

My hobby's are reading, watching movies and playing computer games. If I had my way, I would like to spend the rest of my life just doing these 3 things on my own.

I can put up with people and talk to them (I work in IT Support), but I hate it.

I don't know why I've written here, I guess I needed to let something out anonymously.
Sounds as though you have social anxiety - although you sound content without interaction which is cool. I love my own space, since I started living on my own almost 7 months ago I've come to realise it's nice to shut the door and not have to talk to anyone. There's nothing wrong with you, many people find their own company awful and never manage it - sounds as though you're content.

Neferakhet

Neferakhet

I think the point you are at is a great state.(no sarcasm) As for my part before I was just the opposite of you,enjoyed being with people,socialized but now I too don't like it and don't prefer it in my daily life,when I do I get bored easily.

As for your situation,even if there is anything wrong with it would you care? fact is you aren't dependant on people,you don't have necessities as to socialize or to be intimate with anyone.I think this negates a good number of life's problems in regards with other people.Not to be dependant on people for anything is always a plus.

Moreover you seem content with it.Thanks for sharing this.

S

silentkiller

i too like to stay alone, i just dont like where many people are round, it just annoys me when people are around me...I prefer being alone ;):hug:

H

huggybear65

Hi everyone,I have times when I don't like having people around me,just having a girlfriend there would be nice,I have three real life friends and feel I can't make any more.

I

IntrospectionFtw!

To each his own ultimatly its up to you how you wanna live your life
theres no right or wrong way to live your life and if your content with it
then thats fine, but judging by the fact you posted on here that tells me your
not content i think you should always try to improve your life and do more
have new experiences but that doesnt necessarily mean doing all the things
that everyone else is doing its important to identify what you want...
you know maybe something centered around your hobbies and intrests
and who knows you might surrprise yourself.

S

smith

I can't imagine to be alone , i love people around me . i want be apple of everyone's eyes all the time.

Micky

Micky

Being Lonely

I have found over time that I prefer to be alone. I get sick of people they piss me off and make me anxious and more depressed its just like piss off and leave me the heck alone!

However, online I like to talk to people just not in real life.. I need my space and I don't want people in it.

Family is probly all I accept other then that... screw the rest

gray

gray

j_loner you have pretty much just described me in a nutshell

I just don't get on with people, I have known so many horrible people that I have become very snap judgemental with new people.

Like me you are content, but by the sounds of things you are also like me in that you seem to feel something needs to change because you aren't happy. Perhaps like me you also have poor motivation and a complete lack of interest with the so called social world and when you feel you need to interact with it, you give up before you've even tried.

It's a really annoying thing because I want to change but I just can't even begin to.

T

TheRedStar

I think the most important thing here is how you personally feel about your attitude and behaviour, rather than how those things compare to other people (i.e. there being something 'wrong' with you). If you're not unduly bothered, then great (y)

Truth be told, I envy you and others like you. Constantly chasing other people's approval - and love - is a fool's game that I for one seem to have this self-destructive compulsion to play. You're better off without that.

A

ann

don't want to change? happy to be on own!

well - that's great if you say you don't want to change - but does it mean because it's all too much to think about what you might have to do?

said by someone who thought they had asperger's as I find being with people so hard - yet desperately lonely.

society says we should want company - er - if you don't - that's fine! and if you're gifted with not feeling lonely that's wonderful -

am wondering what your reasons are for wanting to let it out ? is it the classic 'am I normal' (whoever he is!)

pressure to be with people is grim. If you can arrange contact on your terms that's great - it's what I strive for. But I do have a mantra of 'say yes' when I instinctively feel 'no' when asked to do something with someone. I can find, occasionally, that I actually enjoy something about it. My issue is that I usually embarrass myself by over talking etc and then feel so so bad.

anyway - big welcome to sharing your thoughts

Ann

T

telemetry9

ok

I can relate to your hobbies and your way of thinking and being. I find it hard work to be around people (even ones I love); and although I like them to be at my home and am hospitable there is a point were I simply want my own space.

As for being lonely (as some people have mentioned); the loneliest i've ever been in my life was when I lived with someone and was desperately unhappy because of their dishonesty etc...

I find that I am often disappointed by people and how they allow others to be hurt whilst choosing to say nothing. I am not one of those people and I have found that because of this - I have had to leave situations were I was helping and being helped. I simply couldn't take the cruel games of those who didn't like that I stood up to them.

In the end - we have to be true to ourselves. It is better to be honest about who we are than pretend to be part of something that will never accept us. There is only one who can truly see and understand us for who we are.

I can relate to people who have been rejected or who feel they didn't belong as I have felt that way all my life. It is part of the reason I love the teachings and words of Jesus Christ - as he too was one of those people.

robert.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
AdamP72 People 35
L People 9
L People 27
W People 3