• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Energy level difference..

• Thread starter emmaleemochizuki
  • Start date
E

emmaleemochizuki

I feel like the worst for me is the energy level difference when I am manic/mixed compared to when I am depressed.

I have way too much energy when I am manic that I can't stop thinking/doing things, and I don't get tired and up to a point it is great.

When I am depressed, I go months just shattered, having zero energy to get anything done.

I don't notice difference in my mood that quickly but the energy difference is definitely the first thing I notice. And it's huge when I crash.

I go from running at such a high speed, to basically no speed and collapse.

G

Ginger Kitten

Hi, I noticed that no one had replied to your thread so thought I'd stop by to acknowledge you. The difference in energy levels you describe is typical of this illness, but I'm surprised you don't also notice a shift in mood. But perhaps not everyone does.
I had a friend who suffered from major depression who only knew he was depressed by behavioural changes (eg, not showering, shaving, tidying his flat). To others, including me, his low mood was obvious, but not to him, and it sounds as if your signifiers for illness don't relate to your mood either. Are you on medication by the way? Meds can often rein in these energy shifts as they treat the underlying mood disorder. Best wishes, GK.

G

Galaxy

I always think that the shift in energy is like the difference between summer and winter. In winter I can't imagine the heat of summer and vice versa and when I'm depressed I can't imagine the energy of mania (which I currently have)