• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Ending councelling

N

Nutter_09

Hi all,
Not been on for a while but wanted some advice. Have been with my councellor for a while now. Its a volantary service locally and I had 12 sessions, then they wanted me to carry on for another 12. Its now ended and she wanted me to do another 6 but I was very consious of other people on their big waiting list and I have been coping better.
I made last night my last sesh but all night and this today I have been feeling totally alone. My parents are not supportive and friends have kinda given up - my boyf is good but I try to sugarcoat things from him. Once I have stopped,. i cant go back for 3 months and My doctor is not great either.

Should I just see how I go without it? I am soo worried that I can't cope without this support.

rollinat

rollinat

Founding Member
Hi - it's great to hear that the counselling has been helping. It's pretty scary leaving that support behind, though, however good you are now feeling. I wonder if they would be able to space out a few extra sessions, so if you've been seeing them weekly, make it once a fortnight and gradually cut it down from there? Then it gives you a chance to test out coping on your own without feeling all your support has gone. Take care :hug:

N

Nutter_09

Thanks so much for the reply - I feel a bit better about it today but just worried because I don't have any other support.
How do I go about asking though? We had left it this week and I was secretly hoping that she would call just to check.
The last sesh I lied on my forms - we have them each week to see how you get on. I made out I was feeling "great" so she would let me finish.
I don't want to seem like a stalker or weirdo! Know it sounds silly but If I call, I seem desperate.

rollinat

rollinat

Founding Member
I don't know what the best way to go about it is. I don't think you would come over as desperate if you called but it's not easy, I know. I suppose that your counsellor may already have started seeing someone else so may not have the time available any more, but maybe even speaking to her on the phone, and knowing that you can do that, would be enough to feel you still had some support. And I hope you feel you can find some support here too.

N

Nutter_09

I do fid support here but its not the same.
I decided to call just to see - the man who answered was really blunt. I Know its a charity one and they do have a waiting list - But she told me to call if I needed to. HE basically said that I have to wait 12 weeks before I can go back and it sounded like it was a formal ending.

I now feel really bad - I'm just gonna leave it and see how I go.

rollinat

rollinat

Founding Member
I'm sorry that was the response you got. I know the support here isn't the same but it is a good place to offload some things. Is it somewhere you could go in rather than calling? Might be easier?

Take care of yourself and I hope you are ok.

Sugar Coated Owl

Sugar Coated Owl

Can you call and ask to speak to the counsellor that you saw?

N

Nutter_09

Thanks for the reply - They all have different times of being their so I can't just drop in. I'm just gonna leave it. They are so busy and my councellor prob has another person now.

Just wish I had a bit more support at home.

S

sweetabby

How about friends? or sometimes a good pastor would also be so helpful and supportive