• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Empty

G

george81

Hello all, hope you are well. I’ve been on sertraline 100mg for nearly 6 months now and although it’s taken away the really low feelings, it’s left me feeling nothing. Where as before I felt suicidal and SH’med a lot, now I feel nothing. Even showering and washing is an effort and I have no motivation for anything. I don’t even feel like SH’ing. There’s nothing there. At least before SH gave me a relief, now there’s just nothing. I am just existing like a shell. I don’t know who I am and what I feel. I drink to let myself be honest with how I feel. I don’t want to make my next birthday. Sorry all x please stay safe

M

matt42069

Hello all, hope you are well. I’ve been on sertraline 100mg for nearly 6 months now and although it’s taken away the really low feelings, it’s left me feeling nothing. Where as before I felt suicidal and SH’med a lot, now I feel nothing. Even showering and washing is an effort and I have no motivation for anything. I don’t even feel like SH’ing. There’s nothing there. At least before SH gave me a relief, now there’s just nothing. I am just existing like a shell. I don’t know who I am and what I feel. I drink to let myself be honest with how I feel. I don’t want to make my next birthday. Sorry all x please stay safe
Sorry u feel like this , i feel the same way .

C

celticlass

Could it be partly that the drinking cancels out the effect of the medication? Perhaps you would also benefit from a change of medication.

D

dewey

One thing is for sure: as long as you are drinking for unhealthy purposes, you will NEVER recover from all of the other things. Now that pubs are closed, this is the perfect opportunity for you to ban drink from your life and invest in yourself.

Lack of motivation, and depression: there are root causes for these things.
It is true, it really is, there is no problem without a solution. Ultimately, the solution is therapy (and alongside that, many other things).
Maybe something happened to you, that completely took away your motivation. It is hard to say without discussing further with you.

It could be you have an idea of what that is, it could be you have absolutely no idea of what that is. I think there is something that you need to explore properly - and when I say properly, I mean properly, with a good therapist. And I say a good therapist, because not all therapists are good - or helpful. And I say explore properly, because not everyone gives themselves to the process of therapy.

There are also likely solid reasons why you feel like you do not know who you are. Once again, these are rooted a lot in the past and upbringing, and other people's expectations of us. How to meet those expectations? You change yourself. And when you change yourself, you lose your sense of who you really are. Fortunately, you can get closer to your sense of who you are.

With regards to sertraline, I personally found that anti-depressant to be terrible. Others have different experiences. Obviously it is an individual thing. If I was in your shoes, I would communicate the side-effects to the person who prescribed it, and ask to incrementally come down. Please come down slowly off of it, if you plan to come off of it. There are better pills out there, in my opinion. Maybe you need to get a range of opinions from different doctors with regards to your anti depressant.

Feel free to message about anything

D

dewey

Could it be partly that the drinking cancels out the effect of the medication? Perhaps you would also benefit from a change of medication.
If you're a depressed person, trying to recover, drinking is shooting yourself in the foot.
Nothing good can come from drinking.

Funnily enough, British society (And many societies in fact) love drink. But now we are in lockdown, it's the perfect opportunity for the poster to stop drinking

irwin

irwin

We need to have fun in life, and drinking can be fun. Just don't drink and drive. Or drink every day. You'll destroy your liver.

Have fun! That's the most important thing in life! Get some hobbies!

D

dewey

We need to have fun in life, and drinking can be fun. Just don't drink and drive. Or drink every day. You'll destroy your liver.

Have fun! That's the most important thing in life! Get some hobbies!
For someone who is depressed to the point they don't feel like showering, and feels that drinking allows them to actually feel something... that person does not have a healthy relationship with drink, and it is unwise to encourage them to do so.

K

karl7

@george81 ....try to go easy on yourself, relax as much as possible......is going to a psych hospital out of the question ,

we here know what its like, so keep up posting here on the forums for support

C

celticlass

No hospital in the UK would admit. i doubt if they would intervene unless there was a serious risk of harm stemming from major depression. I even doubt a crisis team would intervene.

G

george81

Thank you everyone for your kind replies. I feel so guilty for being on here moaning about feeling crap etc. Today I self- harmed for the first time in a few weeks and honestly it feels better, just to release some horrible feelings. I haven’t drank half as much as I have been this year but I just can’t cope with the way I feel. I am living a lie and the only way anything will change is if I end my life. There’s no other way. I am trapped and there’s no way out. I am a huge mistake and no worth or use to anyone. Im
So sorry for moaning, please accept my apologies x hugs to you all and stay safe with this Covid

NWiddi

NWiddi

Forum Safety Team
I am living a lie and the only way anything will change is if I end my life. There’s no other way.
I know you've heard all this before but..

I'm sorry you're feeling so low, I hope things improve for you soon. It may help to have a look at these two pages on the forum: Suicidal Crisis and Mental Health Forum - Getting Help about what to do if you're feeling suicidal, or if you need emergency help. I hope you can use the forum for support during this difficult time.

If you’re thinking about suicide and are in immediate danger, please call your local emergency number (i.e. in the UK call 999, in the USA or Canada call 911, in Australia call 000 and in New Zealand call 111) or call the international emergency number of 112.

If you have been affected by the contents of this thread and would like to speak to someone about your feelings you can call one of the following helplines:

In the UK and Ireland, the Samaritans can be contacted on 116 123.
In the US, the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline is 1-800-273-8255.
In Canada, the Suicide Prevention Service on 1.833.456.4566.
In Australia, the crisis support service Lifeline is on 13 11 14.
In New Zealand, the Need to Talk service is on 1737 or 080017371737.
Other international helplines can be found at www.befrienders.org.

I'd also consider calling CALM on 0800 58 58 58 or texting SHOUT to 85258.

Please take good care of yourself.

L

Lightanddark

I also use drink to cope.

G

george81

Sometimes it just blocks out the other stuffx

D

dewey

Thank you everyone for your kind replies. I feel so guilty for being on here moaning about feeling crap etc. Today I self- harmed for the first time in a few weeks and honestly it feels better, just to release some horrible feelings. I haven’t drank half as much as I have been this year but I just can’t cope with the way I feel. I am living a lie and the only way anything will change is if I end my life. There’s no other way. I am trapped and there’s no way out. I am a huge mistake and no worth or use to anyone. Im
So sorry for moaning, please accept my apologies x hugs to you all and stay safe with this Covid
Yeah I know the 'I am a huge mistake' feelings.

Why do you feel you are living a lie and you are trapped? You can message me if you like

jajingna

jajingna

I feel so guilty for being on here moaning about feeling crap etc.
Nonsense, this is the right place for all that. Especially if there's no one you feel comfortable enough to talk to about all this. We all are aware that family or friends might not be keen or sympathetic to hear hard things, or we don't want to burden them as we say.