Empowerment! Let go of the labels and taking back your identity. Tell us what empowers you?

Hellakat

Hellakat

I have multiple mental illnesses for lack of a better term. I’ve spent most of my life learning how to cope. I’ve come to realize that whatever my diagnosis is I’m still a person not a disorder. I’m funny, positive, talented, intelligent, independent and cute(at least my mommy says so, lol ). Through my ups and downs I’ve grown to love who I am and I’m not going to make any apologies for it. We are all special in an unique way. We are no different from anyone else. The mere fact that we support and try to uplift each other shows that. Everyday say at least one positive thing about you no matter what mood you are in. No one validates you BUT you. Know you’re worth.*HUGZ*

R

Ramson bangers

That is inspiring and might just start my day off in a good mood. Thank you

R

Ramson bangers

I've had it with labels. Only there so others can categorise you. Puts us in a powerless position everytime. No ones judgement or opinion of us is worth nearly as much as they think it is, not even a smidgen.
What empowers me? This feeling that although i have little self worth im still quite the optimist and i will keep fighting my mental illness with positive thoughts, even though i know its gunna get much tougher in the years to come.

L

LouiseMN

This is an earlier post from Hellakat on the BP forum. She is truly inspirational!

From HellaKat on the BP forum: - a stigma post about the media:
"I totally agree but this is where change also can take shape. I use it as a tool to gain back my power and educate people on mental illness, bipolar especially. It took years for the right diagnosis, years to find the right medication to help stabilize me and the therapy is ongoing. So how I look at it, I’m refusing to let any type of media misrepresent mental illness especially in a negative light. We’ve come a long way. What once use to make me ashamed and embarrassed now makes me a empowered because I use it as a tool to teach the ignorant. Just food for thought".

L

LouiseMN

I have multiple mental illnesses for lack of a better term. I’ve spent most of my life learning how to cope. I’ve come to realize that whatever my diagnosis is I’m still a person not a disorder. I’m funny, positive, talented, intelligent, independent and cute(at least my mommy says so, lol ). Through my ups and downs I’ve grown to love who I am and I’m not going to make any apologies for it. We are all special in an unique way. We are no different from anyone else. The mere fact that we support and try to uplift each other shows that. Everyday say at least one positive thing about you no matter what mood you are in. No one validates you BUT you. Know you’re worth.*HUGZ*
What empowers me? The pride in my daughter, who, now at age 38, is finally getting on with what she wanted to do after high school. She is finishing her 3rd year of pharmacy school, successfully, despite her BP1 diagnosis. She will be a pharmacist when she is 40! She empowers me, I tell people about it and they are less "ignorant". I am hoping she will be as strong as Hellakat some day, I think she will.

Hellakat

Hellakat

Good afternoon everyone. I want to take a minute to say how much I appreciate the wonderful responses to this thread as well as the great support we give one another. Let’s try to keep up the momentum and be proud of ourselves because like I said before in other threads/post. We are people and we are capable of giving love and respect and we are definitely worth being loved and respected. I am happy that I’ve joined this forum because I’m coming across a lot of awesome people, thank you.With that said today has been a good day. Everyday I wake up and open my eyes is a good day. I finally got around to painting a room in my house that use to be a small bedroom for my nephew when he was here that I’m now turning into an office. It took some time and a lot of energy but it’s finally done. Now I’m looking forward to decorating it next. Spring is almost here and I’m looking forward to some nice weather and getting out of the house more.

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

I find it empowering when I look back on the person I was in the past and know that i've come a long way.
Even when on really rubbish days, I know that I have grown stronger and braver, and i'm getting braver still.

L

LouiseMN

No energy is one of the worst things about depression. Then you tell yourself you are lazy, worthless.
Painting that room is awesome! You must be feeling really well.

L

LouiseMN

No energy is one of the worst things about depression. Then you tell yourself you are lazy, worthless.
Painting that room is awesome! You must be feeling really well.
This to Natalie, forgot to quote hers.

N

natalie

A Very interesting th read.

I have szchiophrenia mild forms of. and slight traces of bipolar.

I feel empowered, getting to help in non paid work, working out in fitness to my fitness dvds, and in the near future getting to zumba classes.

Hellakat

Hellakat

That’s great Natalie, I’m working on that to be another goal of mine too.
@LouiseMN believe me I understand that one. When I have those moments I try my best to force myself to get up and get out. What I mean by that is many moons ago I had a psychiatrist who treated my depression along with my medications with light therapy I literally would go to his office and after speaking to him for a few minutes he would sit me down in front of light therapy box which delivered artificial natural outdoor light for approximately 30 minutes and believe it or not it worked. To be clear it didn’t “cure” my depression but it lessened the symptoms to where I was able to function again. At the time and I’m going back almost 20 years ago for me to buy my own for home use it was way to expensive so he suggested that I go to any hardware store and buy “daylight” light bulbs and put it my bedroom lamp which I did so in the morning I would turn that lamp on and it helped to get me out of the bed and once I was up, I made the bed so that I wouldn’t get back in it. I noticed how well that worked so then I went back to the hardware store and got a few more and put them everywhere in my house from the bedroom to the living room and kitchen basically anywhere in the house I’d be and I have to be honest it worked wonders and I still do it til this day. Don’t get me wrong as I stated earlier it’s not a cure but it definitely helps especially in the dark winter months when it’s gloomy and cold and I don’t want to be outside just for those reasons. The light bulbs are inexpensive and definitely worth the try.

R

Ramson bangers

Im gunna post this. Dont have to agree with it. Its just a nice perspective.

L

LouiseMN

That’s great Natalie, I’m working on that to be another goal of mine too.
@LouiseMN believe me I understand that one. When I have those moments I try my best to force myself to get up and get out. What I mean by that is many moons ago I had a psychiatrist who treated my depression along with my medications with light therapy I literally would go to his office and after speaking to him for a few minutes he would sit me down in front of light therapy box which delivered artificial natural outdoor light for approximately 30 minutes and believe it or not it worked. To be clear it didn’t “cure” my depression but it lessened the symptoms to where I was able to function again. At the time and I’m going back almost 20 years ago for me to buy my own for home use it was way to expensive so he suggested that I go to any hardware store and buy “daylight” light bulbs and put it my bedroom lamp which I did so in the morning I would turn that lamp on and it helped to get me out of the bed and once I was up, I made the bed so that I wouldn’t get back in it. I noticed how well that worked so then I went back to the hardware store and got a few more and put them everywhere in my house from the bedroom to the living room and kitchen basically anywhere in the house I’d be and I have to be honest it worked wonders and I still do it til this day. Don’t get me wrong as I stated earlier it’s not a cure but it definitely helps especially in the dark winter months when it’s gloomy and cold and I don’t want to be outside just for those reasons. The light bulbs are inexpensive and definitely worth the try.
I sit by a light every day with my coffee and breakfast, and I used to bring one to work. It can't bring me out of a depression, but I love it. I like the light. I will look into having light bulbs evetywhere, I have always just had a light of sitting on the table/desk next to me.