• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

EMPLOYMENT HUH thats a laugh.

S

saffron

I m on a rant. I have read all this crap about getting people back to work and stressing them out if on benefits. I have applied for five jobs in the last week or so, they are jobs I can do with my eyes closed and hands tied behind my back, it appears I am over qualified for them. One was a driving job for Boots, for two days a week.
My CV read really well, with lots of qualifications including a degree, experience in customer service, clean driving licence and good know ledge of the area. that sounds good you might say, They turned me down saying,
quote' Your application and questionnaire results for this position have been carefully assessed and I regret to inform you that you have been unsuccessful on this occasion.' unquote. what the fuck is that supposed to mean. is a degree ect not good enough for a part time driving job now. isnt this discrimination?
(maybe im not polish enough for them)
so fucking annoyed. grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr:mad:
S

D

Dollit

If you want to know why they turned you down why don't you ring up and ask them? I've always done that and always got a response.

Rambuie Perspecador

Rambuie Perspecador

Founding Member
The most blatant reason for not getting short-listed is the declaration you make about mental health experience. Anyone who does not think this is a factor is in Denial about the thought-processes of Discriminators. Personally, I don't think that phoning them up elicits genuine reasons for why a perfectly good application ends up in the bin.

The only job I ever got post-MH difficulties was one where I declared nothing re MH-d, and with-held my qualifications - so I could not be over-qualified Either! They box clever so we may as well too...

S

saffron

thanks for replies, I got the nono by email so have replied insisting on a valid reason.. we will see.
I did not disclose any thing about MH, I was not asked, I had to fill in an online application form, with a covering letter, send my CV and do a suitability questionairre which basically wanted to know what sort of person I was, stupid things like do you treat people equally?, if you saw something happening illegally at work would you inform your supervisor?, that sort of crap.
anyway based on that information there is no reason why other than I am over qualified.
pants eh.
next job i am going to apply for it twice, one with no qualifications and the other with my actual Cv and see what happens. maybe it will work whos to know.
I cant be that unemployable, anyway f*ck it, i wasnt any better of in full time work anyway. I dont know,, just a bit confused about what to do now thats all. but i now Ill only keep trying for a certain while before I get totally demorilised over the whole thing, summer will hit and I wont give a shit about having to work. Ive given up on bettering myself, nothing has gone my way so far so why keep trying, so some snot nosed little twat can say no and in a flash you are back where you started. No i dont think so. Im just going to get on with things like they are and bugger everyone who says OH you will have so much more if you had a good job,thats complete bollox.
all you get is grief and worry.
argggggg sorry still ranting and bloody mad. :mad:
S

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
A lot of these jobs they've already picked the person, someones relative but they're not allowed to say that so they have an application thing

It's quite often who you know and with mental illness thats almost nobody

J

jamesdean

A lot of these jobs they've already picked the person, someones relative but they're not allowed to say that so they have an application thing

Absoultely rambo if it wasnt so serious it would be funny!!!!!!!!!!!:LOL:

S

saffron

yes I know you are right, they do have to cover themselves, however, it is injustice if they cannot give me a valid reason for why I was turned down.

not sure what you mean by that, It is always been said that its who you know not what you know, that gets you anywhere, and of course how ruthless you are prepared to be. But is MH to blame for that? alot of people I know suffer from BPD, severe depression with suicidal thoughts, PTSD from active service and schizophrrenia and yet they know lots of people adn are all in full time work. OH actually, Ive just thought, one thing they do have in common is they are all self employed, ok so Ive answered my own question, but to add they are well respected and never out of work. maybe that is what f*cks us up, having our imagination, drive and motivation stunted by someone who just frustrates us.
come to think about it, a lot of people on here feel suffocated, silenced and worthless because we gage ourselves on whether we are worthy to others, who invariably do not know how to appreciate us for who we are and what we have to offer.
we are expected to e something that most can never achieve, mainly because, as you said, we do not know the right people. howver most of the people who do know influential people are small, they are either related, look at most of the people on tv, by blood, association or luck. the rest have to put up with what they have, and are unhappy doing it, but we all strive for a chance to be really part of an achivement whether personal or not, but get swatted at the easiest stage.
there is always some rule, responsibility or twat stunting who you want to really be. For me that causes more of an anguishing knockback than anything else. catch 22.
S
well thats it then, I will go self employed.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
i meant it's quite often knowing someone in the company, i do feel isolated most of the people i know have mental illness or are borderline, my family don't want to know.

Will always blame that daft psychiatrist who when i was at uni called my parents in and told them i could lead a normal life, that alllowed them to cut the ties when shortly afterwards al the attantion went to a baby my sister had

Guess if i had won i'd now be saying how wonderful the shrink was, i was playing for high stakes win or lose

S

saffron

unfair as it is.

you sound like you are in a permenant battle, is that what you meant by if you had won?

a lot of my friends have mh problems and we find it helpful to know that we can understand each other in times when others cannot.

sorry to hear that your parents are not that supportive. are you very withdrawn from them?

S

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
by had i won. i meant if i had gone on to get a job and lead a normal life as the shrink was suggesting.

By the way i am not withdrawn from my family i phone them, i don't think they've phoned me once this year, it's not me not contacting them they never contact me

I do think it's hard to cope with mental illness without support and most people have family support, some of the best support is the support you don't notice

Sometimes feel very bitter in my old age particularly about the things mental health workers said when i was young

i feel particularly annoyed that all i'm now getting is 4 monthly outpatients appts

My friend wrote saying that the benefit people are picking on him a vulnerable person, i said they don't see you as vulnerable as far as they're concerned vulnerable people have someone loking after them who can write a letter in support

The heavy psychological conditioning they used on us decades ago in that hostel which doesn't fit modern times

S

saffron

hi ram

my familuy are like thatm they never call and if i call them they never ask how I am or what I have beeen up to, we can talk about the weather for ages though, yawn. I dont bother calling them now, seem a waste of time and I have come to terms with the fact they are not going to change and I should not keeping getting myself in a twist because of their behaviour and way of thinking. I think the only person that can help me is me. I have to fight and manage my own demons because only I understand them, I dont expect anyone else to.

I found this interesting:
The heavy psychological conditioning they used on us decades ago in that hostel which doesn't fit modern times
can you explain that a bit more? if it is too much of a trigger then thats fine.

take care
S :hug:

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
the heavy psychological conditioning used in that hostel, it was a nsf hostel they're now called rethink, it's a carers org so they had this thing about carers having to take responsibility, been funded by the local authority it was intended to save the funders money

So in effect they pushed an independent living that was extreme self sufficiency, in those days there was a benefit system for all, and they didn't need to push illness, there was this argument we were stabilised on meds and while we took the meds we did not have illness

THey must have saved a fortune over the yrs, to this day i find myself arguing the arguments and welfare people say ok your not ill so F Off

I'm totally confused what the reality is

S

saffron

Hi ramb

I see what you mean, it must be like a perpetual catch 22. Does that make you untrusting now of the establishment?

it does explain why so many people are just totally reliant on meds and cannot see the benefit of other techniques or practices.

i suspect you feel really let down eh.

I think sometimes they can push too hard for independant living, they set some people, what they feel are, impossible goals, and this must end in demotivation and sense of failure, which then leads to the person to untrust and fear their own capabilities and so they remain dependant.

If I have got this wrong please tell me.

take care

S

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
Just phoned my mother, talked to her about what i heard in the gym today and similar experiences of people talking about me or me imagining it, she said i was imagining it i said "if i'm hearing voices don't you think they shouldn't be closing my case, i should be on enhanced CPA and should be getting more support from my family" she said "I've given up on you"

To be totaly controversial those with kids get family tax credit, making employment pay better, i would get disabled tax credit at the low rate according to one care worker so work wouldn't be as financialy rewarding, that on top of limited part time ability would lead me struggleing when in fact i'd need slightly extra to pay for meals etc not having the time to live as cheaply

S

saffron

mmm see what you mean, sometimes you just cant see that you will nay better off working anyway. you could try volunteer work, that is much more relaxed, and flexible to your needs.
i have a feeling that your mum is quite old school, stiff upper lip, and you just get on with things, type of person, is suppose thats how she was brought up. dont shout if i am wrong, sorry.
there are lots of other benefits available like tax credits for instance, I was actually better off financially and mentally working part time.
S

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
L Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 6