• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Employment - and employment support

fenman

fenman

I'm guessing that employment related issues are important to people with mental health issues. I'm lucky myself to have finished a 30 years career in the Civil Service and have found a nice part-time job to supplement my pension.

What made me start this thread is that I've been sent a flyer for a forum about Employment Support Allowance and it's on 30th April. See here: View attachment ESA Forum, April 30th 2009.pdf

nickh

nickh

Founding Member
The problem with this is that as the Jobcentre themselves are involved I think people might be suspicious.

Nick.

fenman

fenman

Hi, Nick

Well I guess people might be suspicious. It's a shame. In Cambridge we've tried to create a culture of involving the agencies concerned in our discussions about their activities. It helps to understand what they are about and express our concerns directly.

The event is organised and endorsed by our service users' forum. I can't think of anything more natural than inviting the staff involved in delivery.

No doubt people who have something to fear will stay away. :(

D

DMaher

People are suspicious because JobCentre generally is to cut off your benefits and thus make your mental health and any other disability disappear. None of the staff have any training in mental health or any kind of medical issues.