• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Employment and BPD

M

mewmewpurpur

I've recently decided to take time out of college to work. Great decision because now I only have to stress about work instead of work and school, but my BPD is raging. At work I feel like I'm walking on eggshells; my shift is usually 6 hours and they entire time my heart is racing. Anytime I get criticism I feel like I can't make any more mistakes or I might get fired. Today I never left my position (food service sucks) even though I was thirsty and needed to go to the bathroom. I know in my head the entire time that my anxiety is irrational, but it feels like the world is crashing around me. I know this is something us with BPD experience and not out of the normal. I just want a job that i dont deteste every single day.

Tawny

Tawny

Forum Guide
It is very important to take your breaks. 6 hours at the same station is going to make you feel worse. In the UK i think were are legally allowed a 15 min break every 4 hours?

Taking time out to freshen up, breathe, talk yourself positive, have a glass of water, it might help you get through your shift easier. I am impressed you are holding down a job as that is not something everyone can do, you must feel very proud of your strength. It is important not to let yourself burn out so take it slow, enjoy your time off and spend it doing things that make you happy and recharge your batteries.

Getting a bit of fresh air at work might help too.

Not many people would say they love their job but they work to earn money so that they can do nice things and buy nice clothes, pay the bills, eat.

Is there a job you think you would like to do?

M

MYTIMEHASCOME

It is very important to take your breaks. 6 hours at the same station is going to make you feel worse. In the UK i think were are legally allowed a 15 min break every 4 hours?

Taking time out to freshen up, breathe, talk yourself positive, have a glass of water, it might help you get through your shift easier. I am impressed you are holding down a job as that is not something everyone can do, you must feel very proud of your strength. It is important not to let yourself burn out so take it slow, enjoy your time off and spend it doing things that make you happy and recharge your batteries.

Getting a bit of fresh air at work might help too.

Not many people would say they love their job but they work to earn money so that they can do nice things and buy nice clothes, pay the bills, eat.

Is there a job you think you would like to do?
This is really good advice, also to add to what @Tawny said your employer will want you to be okay they won’t benefit from you not feeling okay so take the breaks your entitled to they have a duty of care to you.

I appreciate you’ll still feel anxious and apprehensive as that’s what mental health does to us makes us believe that what our brain is telling us is 100% true but honestly take your breaks and if you need help tell a manager how your feeling x hope you feel better :hug:

C

celticlass

In the UK you can be asked to work a 6 hour shift without having a break. I found this out in 2016, when I tried to work in a cafe. You can be given a break at their discretion.

Tawny

Tawny

Forum Guide
In the UK you can be asked to work a 6 hour shift without having a break. I found this out in 2016, when I tried to work in a cafe. You can be given a break at their discretion.
I need to pee about every half an hour :rofl2:

I was told by a colleague to take a certain number of sick days per year whether i was ill or not, just to recharge my batteries and look after myself. He had done this throughout his career and had reached a senior level, but advised his staff to do this.

It's so important to look after ourselves and also not to try to please everyone. We have to do our best, when we slip we have to just try again. Anyone who doesn't like you, that is their problem, anyone who gives you a hard time, smile and say thanks i will try harder, but ignore it and keep going at your own pace and looking after you. You are the most important thing.

M

MYTIMEHASCOME

Yeah 6 hours they don’t have to but anything over they do and most employers would have the decency to give a break but not all :(