• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Employer bias against mental health conditions rife, study reveals

F

firemonkee57

A study of employer attitudes towards staff with mental health conditions has revealed that 94 per cent of UK leaders admit prejudice against sufferers remains an issue in their organisation.

The research from Bupa, outlined in its report ‘Breaking the Silence’, also found that a third of business leaders think that employees with mental health illnesses will fail to return to full productivity. In responses to the study, some leaders said they 'labelled' these members of staff as unpredictable, weak and erratic.

In contrast, more than half (53 per cent) of employees managing mental health problems felt they were still top performers.

But a fifth of employees with a condition said they have felt under pressure to resign and more than half believed their illness had harmed their chances of promotion.

The majority of employers (88 per cent) claimed to have a culture that encourages people to openly discuss mental health.

However, a high proportion (70 per cent) of employees said they did not feel comfortable talking about such issues or concerns.

Bupa said that organisations are not doing enough to rectify mental health prejudices even though three quarters of leaders recognise the business case for staff mental well-being.

Leaders told the study that talking about such issues was not easy, with 47 per cent reporting that they feel like they are treading on eggshells around employees with conditions, while one in five leaders avoid talking to them altogether.

Employer bias against mental health conditions rife, study reveals - People Management Magazine Online

M

my-straightjacket-please

im gone take care email if you want its in my prof
ADA website they have lawyers

because of the ATA most employees won't mess around with the mentally handicapped or physically handicapped employees

Ada has opened up and continues to open more jobs lots of state and local orgs we have Ramp disability advocates and help makeing homes disabled friendly

But thats the US

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
disabled friendly housing etc sounds like your talking physical disability, in this country i doubt the mentally ill would go down as mentally handicapped, youd be talking learning difficulties more

Heard in america a lot of mentally ill people are in prison

Can't really say not in america

M

my-straightjacket-please

No. Americe most jailed and homeless choose that life by refuseing treatment and help
America is far from the best and we have a gov trying to cut disabled and elderly help instead of cutting budgets that need cut
but that said America has the most groups and lawyers fighting for our rights and need

We have hud gov houseing programs based on income i was hud and paid 5 dollers in rent

we have programs that pay bills and lots of grants fix homes make homes weaterized to much to list

in america its there but you have to find to fight to never take no you have to do you part there not just handed out

And you have to want to change to medicate counsel what ever it takes life i missery streets jail etc is choice choose a better life choose to feel betteror stay in a rut

I know this because i went through it all and so much more

in america we have local gov reps senator and congress i contact my gov regularly and fight for my rights

Its like i said you work they dont just come to you and never quite or take no

jobs get fines and other big troubl if they break discrimination laws the us is far from perfect but sorry to be mean

But so many sit on there asses and want hand outs or dont know laws and help or scared to fight

one job allows discriminating thats police fat cop get fired under unfit for duty

Thanks OP very good provocative questions i would love to know other countrys ways rights and treatment

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
don't know about america don't all politicians say it's worse elsewhere? sounds like your in favour of meds

M

my-straightjacket-please

Not so much meds but no excuses getting the help for whatever problem

me i was meds and 6 years of counseling

i dont like i cant or i wont or i just want attention

i advacate for fixing working for solutions meds programs that help

me it was meds some just counseling and support we can be happy live good lives and get help we need

The key is do we want to? Me it took a drastic event for me to say i dont want this life i want better

and now five years later I am in the process of a very good recovery I feel better than I've felt in my life I feel happier and more

content than I've ever felt in my life it just took a big push to get there I've tolerate meds I tolerate shrinks I tolerate counseling

I tolerate experimentation just so that I can keep feeling better I also tolerate side effects and other stuff that comes from

meds but I highly advicate people helping themselves and people getting the help that they need I don't like people who just sit

around and wine or don't do what needs to be done it doesn't have to be medication its whatever works for that person

S

sci31A

Most employers do, they see people with medical conditions as a possible liability / hindrance that will loose them profit, i.e if in the event you took time of for being ill.

Employers shouldn't but do discriminate against illness mental or otherwise.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
Not so much meds but no excuses getting the help for whatever problem

me i was meds and 6 years of counseling

i dont like i cant or i wont or i just want attention

i advacate for fixing working for solutions meds programs that help

me it was meds some just counseling and support we can be happy live good lives and get help we need

The key is do we want to? Me it took a drastic event for me to say i dont want this life i want better

and now five years later I am in the process of a very good recovery I feel better than I've felt in my life I feel happier and more

content than I've ever felt in my life it just took a big push to get there I've tolerate meds I tolerate shrinks I tolerate counseling

I tolerate experimentation just so that I can keep feeling better I also tolerate side effects and other stuff that comes from

meds but I highly advicate people helping themselves and people getting the help that they need I don't like people who just sit

around and wine or don't do what needs to be done it doesn't have to be medication its whatever works for that person
i have something against those who refuse to engage with services, but now there aren't services to engage with, your talk about people who sit and whine is very much american atttitudes to those on the welfare, i don't like it coming to this country but what can i do

M

my-straightjacket-please

hey sorry to offend i may have come off wrong

im one step above poverty level disability ssi food stamps have even had public housing even homeless for a few days food pantry's where they hand out food i still do those

thats where i come off with points

nothing was handed out i had to fight and work my ass off and still do for everything

a program to seal houses and make weatherized i called a senator 3 times finally got state inspector to make them do it right

so many either dont know dont look up these ways for help scared etc im always happy to walk people through these processes and find help they need

my point is so many think its just going to drop on them because they get declared disabled

my other point is for those who refuse meds counseling help etc and stay where they are you have to make change if you want change you have to pull yourself out of the pit to see light and to be helped more

to many refuse help refuse counseling meds whatever it takes to feel better it took one big trip through hell to find a good place some recovery and feeling than any time in my life

its that trip that journey so many are scared of or just refuse to take

i have fibromyalgia i quit most of the forums etc are people wanting to lay quit and die not fight and never give up like is needed

i cant put a number on my pain its bad enough i pass out yet walks stores etc

im not a asshole reach a hand and i will hold it and walk a person any disability through the process

thats my posts my anger so many refuse refuse to push boundary's to push past what scares them or rumors spread about meds shrinks etc

i want people to experience the better life we all can if we try or ask some one

in America at least in 90s last time i worked it wasn't disability but equal opportunity act the employer not enough black Mexican etc no not racist shut up

i was turned from 20 or more sorry we would love to hire you but we dont have enough of this race or that

employment depend on fight for rights advocate groups etc fighting with you side by side finding these advocates

i have always offered to help look up and hook people up with help

i hope thats more clear

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
i don't know about america remember that episode of the simpsons were homer puts on weight in order to be disabled and work from home, disabled in britain can't work from home, don't have that right

it's comparing totally different societys the issue isn't just welfare, only called that recently in britain

M

my-straightjacket-please

all country's are different
rules, what you get, what they will or wont do, grants to help with bills repairs etc

i dont know of any country thats the same

As for america we can work but has to be below 50 percent of disability pay not sure look it up

america is famous for liars cheats and generation of a whole family scamming the system screwing thos of us who need it

some have even gone on tv and bragged about how they do it and then ther kids and so on down the line

now we cant get help or programs are cut because of these people every country has assholes messin the system up and asshole government

my state aid now makes us co pay like normal people i got yelled at and told we can do our part like regular people do

uhhhhh asshole i have state aid because i cant pay the bill idiots

i have thousands in backed up medical bills only nice thing about america medicare they cant touch us or take our money

my local health network wrote off 4 grand because they knew they would never get it

beats me interesting subject but also show in some way or another we all have similar problems with the system