• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Emotionally unstable- but which benefits?

dib4uk

dib4uk

Just a quick question- as I have now got my report stating what i have wrong with me, does having a personality disorder mean I can get benefits or not?

I'm just worried incase the benefit after my tribunal say i'm ok when I know i'm not.

Please help an ol fool. :p

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
Depends on the disorder and how it affects your daily life. As to whether you can get benefits or not will depend on your circumstances. And what kind of benefits you are seeking. Are you working or on sick at the moment

dib4uk

dib4uk

Depends on the disorder and how it affects your daily life. As to whether you can get benefits or not will depend on your circumstances. And what kind of benefits you are seeking. Are you working or on sick at the moment
No i'm not working at the moment, i stopped working last year, and I'm currently appealing against ESA.

Well ontop of that the psychiatric report also hinted at cylthoymia might also be considered, basically my daily life is a stuggle, I never know who or what I'm feeling for one day to the next.

S

schizzzoid

Hi, firstly, if you're going to a tribunal get some help from your local Welfare Rights office, I've been through the appeal/tribunal process, and it was very tough, and it all went sour. Which resulted in me having to apply from scratch, but, this time I had the Welfare Rights people working for me, and everything sailed through! So, if it does go badly don't worry too much, it just (just, indeed!) means you have to start again!

If your illness is affecting your daily life, and prevents you from working, then you should certainly be on benefits, such as, Income Support, possibly Incapcity Benefit, Disability Living Allowance, Housing and Council Tax benefits, at least! Again, I would recommend you seek out help from Welfare Rights, especially where DLA is concerned - the form is massive, and something of a nightmare!

Best of luck with your claiming, and don't give up, applications for DLA are often turned down first time round, it's some sort of bizarre game they play! :D

dib4uk

dib4uk

Yeah thanks for the advice- sometimes i freak out and think everything is black and doombed.

Yeah i'm getting help from Mind- who are representing me.

:)

S

schizzzoid

MIND are very good, but, just in case, don't forget Welfare Rights, especially where DLA is concerned, as they seem to carry a little extra weight.

I did a little research about ESA, and from what I can gather, from both anecdotal and official sources, it seems they put people with mental health claims through the ringer, as there are a lot of fake claims, so don't take it personally, and don't give up!

I hope it all goes well for you.(y)

dib4uk

dib4uk

It just seems like to me that no one is prepared to either listen to me or help me. Not getting DLA- some people suggest I should try, and to be honest I'm just sick and tired of not getting anywhere fast.

I'm not really in a good place at the moment, just heart more annoying news. My GP wont give me another certificate but says I need to appeal. I called the DWP up and they said I need a certificate when I'm on appeal...

:confused:

I dont know who to turn to, which advice to take. I'm just sinking further and further into oblivion.

A

Ainsworth

dib if you want to try for DLA then phone them up, you can ask for the forms to be sent to you. havent got the number to hand now but can find it if you need it. (maybe try on-line)

remember if you do, you need to write what its like on the worse days/nights for you. the form is a long one, with repeating questions, nightmare to fill in but once its done and you get the benefit you have it for 3 years.

they are a pain for everything and usually try and fob people off, just put in an appeal.

also you can claim alot more benefits which doesnt affect the DLA money so worth a try.

goodluck (y)

S

schizzzoid

I can only sympathise. Have a :hug:

It is a absolute nightmare, and, it seems to me, the worst people at making a claim are those that are in most need! If you see what I mean! :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

I am trying to will you the strength to fight down these internet wires, there's hundreds of keys on this keyboard, one of them does it, I'm sure...:)

dib4uk

dib4uk

I can only sympathise. Have a :hug:

It is a absolute nightmare, and, it seems to me, the worst people at making a claim are those that are in most need! If you see what I mean! :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

I am trying to will you the strength to fight down these internet wires, there's hundreds of keys on this keyboard, one of them does it, I'm sure...:)
Awww thanks- thank you for your support. :redface:

unremarkable Yes I phoned up about DLA- so second time around maybe more luck, and I also recently went to the council about freedom bus pass. Every little bit will help me, and to make things more stable and constant. Also now I have a "diagnoses" I can do things that was bared from me. If that makes sense? Hopefully with the bus pass I can then go back to counselling and go to exercise referal which would get me out of the house, off my bottom and doing something about my weight as well.

Last edited:
P

penelope

there is a really good website called ' benefits for work' They have really good advice on all benefits. Have a look.

P

penelope

I know its not free but there is the information there for free .
I

S

schizzzoid

Going a little off topic, but, until now, I'd never heard of 'Benefits and Work'. I'm shocked, horrified and disgusted that such a parasitic business exisits, no genuine claimant should require such a 'service', when bodies such as Welfare Rights, MIND, Rethink and Disability Direct, to name a few, exist. Talk about preying on the weak and vulnerable! :mad::mad::mad:

dib4uk

dib4uk

Going a little off topic, but, until now, I'd never heard of 'Benefits and Work'. I'm shocked, horrified and disgusted that such a parasitic business exisits, no genuine claimant should require such a 'service', when bodies such as Welfare Rights, MIND, Rethink and Disability Direct, to name a few, exist. Talk about preying on the weak and vulnerable! :mad::mad::mad:
Yeah thats my thoughts entirley?? meh, completely. My origional post was ment to say which beneifts considering my personality disorder is suitble for me to have. If i went into a job center and declaired that i also have DiD would they actuarly know what to do with me?