• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Emotionally Immature Parents

jajingna

jajingna

My parents were definitely not emotionally mature people. I'm not sure what emotional maturity means. An understanding of yourself would help. The ability to self-regulate, whatever that involves. I think of that as not remaining stuck in an unhappy mood for too long if you can see it as just a mood, and not be overwhelmed. But sometimes I'm in a bad mood for a few hours.

Parents seemed unhappy most of the time. Now the adult children have a lot of baggage. I think a lot of hurt feelings have stayed with us for a very long time. Things we don't talk about. But those feelings act like a poison. A slow-acting poison that over years diminishes health.

R

RockyMountainsGirl

I agree, adult children get baggage from their parents. The fact that you recognize that your parents mistreated you, and that this has affected your moods, shows that you have the awareness to get help. You can talk about what happened to you. Your bad moods don't have to be permanent, and you don't have to live with the hurt. It can seem like a big step to get help from a therapist, but that's often the only way to learn how to feel better. Millions of people get help that way when they struggle with their feelings and moods. I'm seeing a trauma therapist in Canada to help me get over the trauma I experienced while growing up. My parents were abusive and neglectful, and I cried much of the time. I didn't learn to regulate my emotions. I took one small step to get started by asking my family doctor to refer me to a good psychologist.

jajingna

jajingna

I started this thread after seeing a video where someone reviewed this book:

1623237098708.png

I'm doubtful any book can help with healing in such matters, but they can still be interesting to read.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
R Im emotionally tired <TW> Mental Health Experiences 1
Coolcuk Emotionally and Sexually numb Mental Health Experiences 5
C Emotionally drained at the moment Mental Health Experiences 8
Heidrun Emotionally unstable and crying Mental Health Experiences 4
Midnight.Panda Peter Pan Syndrome/Emotionally still like a kid Mental Health Experiences 7
S Becoming emotionally numb on purpose Mental Health Experiences 12
U Confused, forgetful and emotionally numb. Mental Health Experiences 2
G Want (new) emotionally close people to hurt me physically Mental Health Experiences 3
S My mom is 80 and still emotionally abuses me with body-shaming. Mental Health Experiences 2
M No one to talk to - Feeling Emotionally Unstable Mental Health Experiences 5
C Trauma, relationships, and emotionally reactive Mental Health Experiences 2
N I've been emotionally abusive, and I'd like to stop. Mental Health Experiences 6
A Emotionally abusive ex still ruining my life - help? Mental Health Experiences 32
willow003 My mother is emotionally ill and it is very hard to live around her Mental Health Experiences 5
I Feeling of being locked in a tube, unreal and emotionally benumbed Mental Health Experiences 5
D why can't I let this emotionally abusive relationship go? Mental Health Experiences 2
T Why do I feel emotionally not alive? Mental Health Experiences 1
S Schizo affective, immature, weak, lazy, spoiled? Mental Health Experiences 4
A Did your parents give you drugs as an early teen? Mental Health Experiences 51
T toxic parents Mental Health Experiences 3
jajingna Are you anything like your parents or siblings? Mental Health Experiences 18
B How do u eel about your parents? Mental Health Experiences 13
lavenderfire When People Need Help But Parents Don't Step In Mental Health Experiences 5
U Toxic Parents Mental Health Experiences 3
Cabra Parents Mental Health Experiences 2
N I am really depressed & don't want to live. My parents have disabled certain websites from my laptop based on keywor. So, i can't easily access help. Mental Health Experiences 7
H did anyone tell their parents that they would never get married? Mental Health Experiences 1
D Wife leaves you and parents, grandma, siblings die Mental Health Experiences 2
jajingna Turning into our parents Mental Health Experiences 8
T My parents are making me miserable (full story) Mental Health Experiences 3
T Expressing my feelings to my parents Mental Health Experiences 3
T How to tell my parents that i probably need therapy Mental Health Experiences 3
E Anyone had experience coming out to parents? Mental Health Experiences 5
Drawings_T Coming to terms with parents ignoring my mental health Mental Health Experiences 9
elliepaige20 January blues and frustrating parents... Mental Health Experiences 5
danthepumpkinman Toxic parents and transitioning to adulthood Mental Health Experiences 3
H My Parents Mental Health Experiences 2
D Feeling guilty because of my parents Mental Health Experiences 8
J Parents don't like me very much... Mental Health Experiences 10
L Difficult parents - how to forgive and move on Mental Health Experiences 2
M My parents somehow don't believe I'm mentally ill Mental Health Experiences 6
K When you're parents dont even care Mental Health Experiences 5
N A Little Incident Happen at home - parents just returned from shopping Mental Health Experiences 3
B How should I confront my parents on (possibly) being molested? Mental Health Experiences 6
Z Not sure how to deal with my parents? Mental Health Experiences 7
S Twenty-three, never had a job, still depending on parents. Why? Mental Health Experiences 18
Kerome Getting older and caring for parents Mental Health Experiences 20
liame wasting oxygen. and parents' money Mental Health Experiences 1
S I can't find a way out of this conflict with my parents.. Mental Health Experiences 7
S close relations and their dismissive attitude to parents. Mental Health Experiences 6