Emotional Support Animals

D

DS

Hello everyone!
This is my first post here and hopefully it will be relevent and helpful to others out there with my latest experience.

First of all lets get this out of the way so any misconceptions :

1. Emotional Support Animals do not have the same legal rights as Service Animals in the UK
2. a new registry has been set up in the UK for Emotional Support Animals - this has been set up by people whio have gone to the UK Government about law changes and the Gov wants proof of numbers of ESAs and how many prescribed by a medical professional.
3. current Health laws and regulations overrule any ESA accessto a business

Now thats out of the way, here is my experience with registering an ESA in the UK :

1. before registering I had constant issues gaining entry into businesses in the city I live in
2. after registration I now have no issues in gaining entry with my ESA to any business
3. I have been challenged a few times but showing my card and explaining to the staff member (usually a security guy) that ESAs are like Service Animals is sufficient and from then on I am not challenged again when entering. This process took a couple of weeks as I visited different businesses, but after that no challenges, no issues accessing any business.
4. I also started having issues with my landlord, but the registry sent me a document on housing, discrimination and with that knowledge I was able to solve the issue and stay in my accomodation.

The ability to take my ESA (dog) with me everywhere has opened up my life and given me more opportunities. It has just made my life a whole lot better (and happier).

I am also now part of a movement that has a goal of changing the UK Laws for Emotional Support Animals just like Servcie Animals which is just great for me and all that would benefit from an Emotional Support Animal.

What animals qualify? This registry, unlike the ones in the USA, only register Dogs & Cats as ESAs.

After registering you get within a few hours your ESA Certification Letter & Certificate via email and a few days later (mine was 4 days) a ESA ID Card, and documentation on housing rights.

For me registration has been overwhemingly postive and life changing.

If anyone has any questions on this, please ask and Ill try to answer what I know, but the web site of the registry has information and they answer pretty quick (they are also on facebook, instagram and twitter @ESAORGUK).

Doug

Last edited by a moderator:
H

Helena1

Forum Safety Team
I don't really want these ESA's everywhere, if I were living in flats which have a no pets policy I don't want to hear these animals barking all the time, I am very sound sensitive, have ASD.
I am also quite phobic of dogs and don't want them in shops, which I currently don't have to worry about being in as there are so few service animals.
I think it is much better to stick to therapy etc and what not than to start bringing in these other ideas that whilst I do agree they are good for the person involved have a negative effect on other people.

D

DS

Just like Babies Crying

Hello, I agree that dogs barking (just like babies crying or kids making noise) is annoying in accommodations, but my dog doesnt bark and so do many others that are properly trained (so please dont think all dogs bark). ESA registration is not for everyone, as a doctor has to prescribe one. Therapy dogs wouldnt suit me and my ESA has helped me with my mental health issue. Like all things in life, if it doesnt suit you dont use it.

Kerome

Kerome

Very interesting, I wasn’t aware such a thing existed.