• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Emotional pain

jajingna

jajingna

Well, "Emotional pain" is pretty vague for a topic title, and too broad in scope, or too general, but anyway, I feel like it is behind so much of our behavior, especially our dysfunctional actions or addictions, arguments, avoidances, whatever. I believe most people have all sorts of emotional pain that they never really get to the bottom of, if that's even possible.

I mean, what do people talk about in therapy? Why are there so many of us, more or less "damaged" people? I bet this has been asked many times before.

What is going on, why is there so much of it, going back to childhood usually, and just sort of floating around in the background and sometimes surfacing, all through one's life...and steering us in ways we're hardly aware of?

I've been feeling sort of crazy lately, so this post might not make much sense.

C

Coolname

It has been suggested that many mental health diagnoses should be replaced with a single diagnosis of developmental trauma. The proposer goes on to suggest making it a public health issue, society taking steps to provide support to parents and activities for children that will reduce the chances of these problems developing.

B

bpd2020

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I suffer deeply from emotional pain. I am in pain every single day and it really hurts. You ask what people talk about in therapy. It depends on the therapy. Often you have to start with your early life in order for the therapist to understand who you are now. Through a lot of therapy I have got to the root of my pain. It was caused by my parents.

jajingna

jajingna

developmental trauma
Is this specific enough, or too general? It surely would include an awful lot of people. I don't believe a formal diagnosis means much in psychiatry. If you're treating the physical body, sure, then a proper diagnosis is useful. Mental illnesses are slippery things, and not easy to ascertain.

JessisMe

JessisMe

I had a great upbringing with two loving, committed parents. Most everything about my childhood was ideal...I had the perfect grandparents and near perfect aunts and uncles. I am in therapy because my brain does not work properly. I have manic episodes where I experience bizarre delusions. I engage other people with them. I do and say bizarre things. When it is being managed by meds (and therapy) I am more docile and less outrageous about everything. I have burned many bridges and lost a lot of opportunities as a result of this illness. But I would never attribute it to anything my parents did or didn’t do or anything I did or did not experience in my upbringing. My brain works in a somewhat defective way and certain symptoms are indicators of that. It is nobody’s fault. Nobody caused it. There is no cure for it, just management. It just is what it is and is something I have to live with and manage as best I can.

C

Coolname

Is this specific enough, or too general? It surely would include an awful lot of people. I don't believe a formal diagnosis means much in psychiatry. If you're treating the physical body, sure, then a proper diagnosis is useful. Mental illnesses are slippery things, and not easy to ascertain.
Absolutely it is general. The proposer doesn't think much of the current range of specific diagnoses either.

I think the idea is that if you can identify the cause of a lot of suffering, ill health, crime, etc as developmental trauma, not genetics, it makes sense to argue that a lot of money should be spent on minimizing future suffering by providing child and parental services today.

B

bpd2020

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I had a great upbringing with two loving, committed parents. Most everything about my childhood was ideal...I had the perfect grandparents and near perfect aunts and uncles. I am in therapy because my brain does not work properly. I have manic episodes where I experience bizarre delusions. I engage other people with them. I do and say bizarre things. When it is being managed by meds (and therapy) I am more docile and less outrageous about everything. I have burned many bridges and lost a lot of opportunities as a result of this illness. But I would never attribute it to anything my parents did or didn’t do or anything I did or did not experience in my upbringing. My brain works in a somewhat defective way and certain symptoms are indicators of that. It is nobody’s fault. Nobody caused it. There is no cure for it, just management. It just is what it is and is something I have to live with and manage as best I can.
I am sorry you struggle but it makes me happy to know you have a caring family.