Emotional Detachment

A

Audio

I don't feel close to any of my friends. I feel like I can never connect with them on an emotional level, it's not like I don't enjoy their company, I just wouldn't label any of them friends.

Growing up I never truly had any friends, most of them would be friends with me for a year and then once we were not in the same class anymore, I never talk to them again. It's made me think for quite a while that that's how friendships are, temporary and replaceable. This form of detachment might be because of me trying to protect myself, not be emotionally invested in someone so once they leave me and find someone better, I would be able to let them go with ease. This mentality has lead to me always saying that I am a stepping stone in people's life, eventually they will forget about me and find better friends, and I was at peace with that.

But the fact is I feel lonely. This sense of emotional detachment left me feeling alone even though I am surrounded by friends. Sometimes I even feel like they just hang with me out of pity.

I want to be able to make connections with my friends and yet I've been doing this for so long I don't know how to start connecting, or even how it feels to connect.

Sorry for the wall text, I rarely spill my chest out but I can't keep it in right now.

Cpt_Stunning

Cpt_Stunning

There will always be new people in life, I know, I'm 44, friends come & go.