Emotional Control and Tiredness

Looney Tunes

Looney Tunes

"shoulda made a left toin at Alba-koi-kee."
Is there a link between tiredness and having less emotional control with BPD more so than in the general population?

I had a bit of a showdown with my boss last week, probably the first major butting of heads we’ve had in all the years we’ve been working together. I’ve let glimpses of my angry side slip out before now but they have been just that - glimpses, the odd snide comment etc. This was bordering on a ten minute argument and I haven’t let that side of me out of its box in the workplace for over a decade.

The problem is though the more I’m getting annoyed the more tired I’m getting and the more tired I am the more often I’m getting annoyed. Is there any way to get out of the cycle, I don’t want to end up the permanently angry person I was twenty years ago.

calypso

calypso

Admin
There is definitely a link between not sleeping well and a whole host of MH problems. Can you see your doctor and ask for something to help you through this rough time? Just a short course of something to reset your sleeping rhythm.

I know what you mean about becoming angry though. Its is addictive as all that pent up negativity spills outwards.

Lunus

Lunus

Is there a link between tiredness and having less emotional control with BPD more so than in the general population?

I had a bit of a showdown with my boss last week, probably the first major butting of heads we’ve had in all the years we’ve been working together. I’ve let glimpses of my angry side slip out before now but they have been just that - glimpses, the odd snide comment etc. This was bordering on a ten minute argument and I haven’t let that side of me out of its box in the workplace for over a decade.

The problem is though the more I’m getting annoyed the more tired I’m getting and the more tired I am the more often I’m getting annoyed. Is there any way to get out of the cycle, I don’t want to end up the permanently angry person I was twenty years ago.
I’d recommend exercise yoga and meditation. Any of those would help with anger as we as assisting you to sleep better.

G

Girl interupted

Something Dewey posted a while back has stuck with me. That bpd folks were never taught how to properly process emotions. And that, as adults, we have to unlearn all the unhealthy coping skills we have used because we didn’t know any better.

One unhealthy coping skill is suppression. We get angry and instead of dealing with it in a healthy way, and at the moment it occurs, we swallow it. Then we swallow more. And more.

Eventually there’s no more room to swallow any more and it starts to leak out in inappropriate ways. For me, that’s anger. Sounds like it is you too.

You might benefit from taking an anger management class at your local community centre. Start to develop those healthy ways of processing anger that we were never taught to begin with.