• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Emotional Bullying

MarlieeB

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Emotional Bullying and How to Deal with an Emotional Bully - HealthyPlace

Emotional bullying is something everyone remembers from their childhood. Remember the biggest kid on the playground who wanted to play with a ball, so he just took it from a younger child? Or remember the time some kids surrounded someone who was a little different and teased and mocked them until they cried? Or maybe you recall the "cool" group of kids in school who would ignore you and never let you be part of their group?

You're remembering emotionally bullying. Emotional bullying is when a person tries to get what they want by making others feel angry or afraid.

What is Emotional Bullying?

Emotional bullying can happen in personal relationships or at work. Learn what emotional bullying is and how to stop an emotional bully.Emotional bullying isn't just seen on the playground; emotional bullying, although likely subtler, is seen in adult relationships and workplaces too. An emotional bully might:

Name-call, tease or mock
Use sarcasm
Threaten
Put-down or belittle
Ignore or exclude from a group
Lie
Torment
Gang up on others
Humiliate others

These behaviors can be seen in adult relationships, (see Psychologically Abusive Relationships: Are You in One?) like when an emotional bully makes another party "pay" for a perceived mistake or when an emotional bully constantly uses sarcasm in response to genuine questions. In the workplace, emotional bullying might be seen when "office pranks" are pulled in an attempt to humiliate a co-worker.

Effects of Emotional Bullying

And while some may write off emotional bullying as childish behavior or easily ignorable, research shows that emotional bullying can leave lasting scars on its victims (see Effects of Emotional Abuse on Adults). Moreover, those who have experienced emotional bullying are more likely to turn around and become emotional bullies themselves.

Emotional bullying can have negative effects on a person's mental health. Victims often feel shame, guilt, embarrassment and fear. These effects of emotional bullying can result in:

Depression
Low self-esteem
Shyness
Poor academic or job performance
Isolation
Threatened or attempted suicide

Emotional bullying can also lead to a version of Stockholm Syndrome, where the victim over-identifies with the emotional bully and even defends the bully's behavior to others.

How to Deal with an Emotional Bully

The same advice that works in the schoolyard also works with adults: ignore or stand up to bullies.

Adults have more understanding of an emotional bully's behavior than a child does and can see behind a bully's actions to someone who may feel scared and alone and is lashing out. Adults can also understand that an emotional bully's behavior is not about the victim but about the abuser. An emotional bully doesn't just bully one person; they attempt to dominate others in that way as well.

Armed with this knowledge, someone who has been emotionally bullied can see the behavior as the symptom of an illness rather than as a personal attack. This simple change in point of view may be enough to make an emotional bully's behavior easier to ignore.

Standing up to an emotional bully is another tried and true technique, however. When someone stands up to an emotional bully, the bully is forced to change. It's unlikely that an emotional bully will ever change completely, but small alterations in behavior are possible and even more can happen if help is sought. Standing up to an emotional bully makes it more likely that the bully will realize that there is a problem and they may even be more willing to get help for it.

Parissa

Parissa

I was emotionally bullied. I also have been guilty of doing the same at times. It makes for one very messed up head.

:low:

Children learn what they live.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
H Toxic relationships, stress, trauma, bullying, physical/mental/emotional abuse. Trauma & Physical, Sexual and Mental Abuse Forum 5
M Facts about Emotional Bullying? Trauma & Physical, Sexual and Mental Abuse Forum 2
Racer Can not be emotional attached Trauma & Physical, Sexual and Mental Abuse Forum 3
writingaboutthestars the past and facing the future Trigger warning: Mentions of child emotional abuse Trauma & Physical, Sexual and Mental Abuse Forum 4
siamesetwins Emotional abuse by a teacher? Trauma & Physical, Sexual and Mental Abuse Forum 2
Beta012 Anyone know what I should do? *TRIGGER WARNING - physical and emotional abuse, possible sexual abuse* Trauma & Physical, Sexual and Mental Abuse Forum 3
misunderstood256 Looking For Something *Trigger Warning: Mentions of emotional/sexual abuse* Trauma & Physical, Sexual and Mental Abuse Forum 4
midnightphoenix getting over emotional abuse Trauma & Physical, Sexual and Mental Abuse Forum 11
M Emotional abuse i need advice Trauma & Physical, Sexual and Mental Abuse Forum 1
H Emotional Abuse towards me when I was unwell by family members Trauma & Physical, Sexual and Mental Abuse Forum 10
prettyflower Emotional Abuse by Family? Trauma & Physical, Sexual and Mental Abuse Forum 9
Guy12182 Emotional abuse.... Trauma & Physical, Sexual and Mental Abuse Forum 1
S Emotional abuse? Trauma & Physical, Sexual and Mental Abuse Forum 6
M Effects of Emotional Abuse on Adults (Might Trigger) Trauma & Physical, Sexual and Mental Abuse Forum 6
amathus Should emotional abuse in a relationship be viewed as a crime? Trauma & Physical, Sexual and Mental Abuse Forum 48
calmleaves ***TRIGGER WARNING - Discussed physical abuse, ED, bullying*** new day is just new pain and new obstacles. will this ever end? Trauma & Physical, Sexual and Mental Abuse Forum 3
I How do you cope with bullying? Trauma & Physical, Sexual and Mental Abuse Forum 24
Ramson mash Are we bullying my friend? Trauma & Physical, Sexual and Mental Abuse Forum 7
AA153 Bullying Trauma & Physical, Sexual and Mental Abuse Forum 2
Bluejay7500 Its like i got addicting to bullying. Trauma & Physical, Sexual and Mental Abuse Forum 13
C I have a question for all you regarding being a victim of bullying Trauma & Physical, Sexual and Mental Abuse Forum 37
S How to deal with PTSD from bullying Trauma & Physical, Sexual and Mental Abuse Forum 5
G Online bullying & trolling. Trauma & Physical, Sexual and Mental Abuse Forum 32
G Bullying, Name calling at work Trauma & Physical, Sexual and Mental Abuse Forum 7
T Bullying has left my mental state in a mess! Trauma & Physical, Sexual and Mental Abuse Forum 11
maggiecraft permanent trauma from bullying? Trauma & Physical, Sexual and Mental Abuse Forum 3
megirl Bullying-why me Trauma & Physical, Sexual and Mental Abuse Forum 8
S anger, mania bullying Trauma & Physical, Sexual and Mental Abuse Forum 6
A Being Gentle and Kindhearted As a Target For Bullying. Trauma & Physical, Sexual and Mental Abuse Forum 19
K Spent decades battling childhood bullying Trauma & Physical, Sexual and Mental Abuse Forum 1
F The menace of bullying Trauma & Physical, Sexual and Mental Abuse Forum 4
M Workplace Bullying not acceptable ! Trauma & Physical, Sexual and Mental Abuse Forum 7
H How to deal with bullying etc. Trauma & Physical, Sexual and Mental Abuse Forum 3
L Bullying Trauma & Physical, Sexual and Mental Abuse Forum 4
F Anxiety and depression caused by childhood bullying decline over time Trauma & Physical, Sexual and Mental Abuse Forum 3
B My experience with bullying. Advice please please please Trauma & Physical, Sexual and Mental Abuse Forum 6
F Solutions to Bullying Traumas Trauma & Physical, Sexual and Mental Abuse Forum 2
S Bad Company _ Bullying Trauma & Physical, Sexual and Mental Abuse Forum 3
I Is this definitely bullying? Trauma & Physical, Sexual and Mental Abuse Forum 6
blueMandM90 Sharing my experience with Bullying Trauma & Physical, Sexual and Mental Abuse Forum 1
F The bullying of children who are different Trauma & Physical, Sexual and Mental Abuse Forum 19
L Why is it that with bullying or domestic abuse the victim has to move or put up with and not the abuser? Trauma & Physical, Sexual and Mental Abuse Forum 8
F How can we protect children from the harmful effects of bullying? – live chat Trauma & Physical, Sexual and Mental Abuse Forum 1
M Bullying may have worse long-term effects than child abuse. NHS Choices. Trauma & Physical, Sexual and Mental Abuse Forum 5
F We need to talk about bullying – as a nation Trauma & Physical, Sexual and Mental Abuse Forum 10
echo66 Virtual (cyber) bullying.... Trauma & Physical, Sexual and Mental Abuse Forum 3
M The Link between Bullying and Children’s Body Image Trauma & Physical, Sexual and Mental Abuse Forum 1
M Effects and Results of bullying. (School aged) Trauma & Physical, Sexual and Mental Abuse Forum 2
J Not sure if I am being targeted at work bullying / harrassment Trauma & Physical, Sexual and Mental Abuse Forum 2
BrianHorlicks what i think about bullying. Trauma & Physical, Sexual and Mental Abuse Forum 6