• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Emetophobia - I'm looking for support and advice

S

shelly33

Hi,

I have bipolar disorder and an anxiety disorder. I'm also emetophobic. I'm terrified of the prospect of someone being sick near me, or of being sick myself. I eat a restricted diet (I'm really paranoid about certain foods eg meat and eating out). Normally my fear is low level and manageable, but it's always there to some extent. When my depression and anxiety are severe like now though, my emetophobia goes crazy if triggered.

At the moment my partner is pretty much my sole means of social support, because of my depression/anxiety issues. He had the symptoms of a stomach bug yesterday, and now I'm afraid to see him. I'm scared that we will fall out now, because I can't communicate to anybody how strong my fear of vomiting or seeing anyone else do so is. I ruined a holiday with my family because they chose to travel by boat and my fear became so acute on the boat that I sat alone with my eyes shut and fingers in my ears, so of course they were upset because I couldn't explain it to them.

I've never told my dr or anyone else about this, because I think that they will think that I am ridiculous. I know that it sounds totally irrational. Most people feel unwell, they are sick, it is unpleasant at the time, and they get better (similarly, if someone is sick near them). But to me, it is a paralysing fear. I feel like I'd rather die. When I hear of gastric flu doing the rounds (especially norovirus type illnesses), I feel suicidal with fear. To me it seems like it would be better to die than experience that.

I don't know why this is as I don't remember ever having a traumatic event, but ever since childhood I have reacted like this.

Please help with any support or advice you may be able to offer. And if you just want to offload, I understand, and I'll listen.

Shelly x

ms_P

ms_P

Founding Member
Hi,
I think you should tell your doctor as it sounds like OCD to me but no one here can diagnose you. So called irrational fears can be manageable.
Knowing why or how it started isn't necessarily important. How to live a good and full life with it is.
Take care :flowers:

E

EternalityFlames

Hi,

I also have Emetophobia and my reactions to sickness goes to the extremes and I feel the same way as you do. I can't control it and feel miserable with it. I'm also going to the doctors about the possibility of Bipolar Disorder because of mood changes and so forth. I always think but what if its just my anxiety disorder and phobia but noone ever seems convinced!!! Would you be able to tell me more on what its like having bipolar disorder and this? and what feelings you experience etc? U maybe on more or less the same wave length as me if u suffer as badly from emetophobia as i do which it sounds as tho u do!!! x