• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Emetophobia help

T

Tbeswick93

I have been suffering with emetophobia for 17 years but it has been the worse it’s ever been the past three years! It has caused problems in my relationship in the past, but not so much anymore as I don’t tend to talk about it! I don’t have a fear of others throwing up although it does make me uneasy and I have to plug my ears if I’m nearby, it’s more a phobia of me throwing up. I’m not a sickly person but I have felt sick most days for years. The other evening I ate some cheese at 1am and had a panic attack for the next three hours and felt extremely nauseous to the point I was shaking violently! In the end I fell asleep from exhaustion. I plan to have kids in the next few years and really need to overcome this phobia. My biggest fear about throwing up is the nausea, the gagging and the smell and look of it! I have only ever thrown up twice as an adult from hangovers and I’m now 27. Each time I feel sick I wonder if this is going to be the time! Does anyone else feel like this? And any advice would be appreciated 😃

mischief

mischief

Admin
Hi

Welcome to the forum. :welcome:

This web page might help you with your journey to overcome it.

The author of the web page, psychologist Dr Dave Carbonell, recommends exposure therapy to overcome emetophobia.

He has written an excellent self-help book called the Panic Attacks Workbook which will lead you through a process of tackling it. You can buy it through Blackwell's bookshop or Amazon. It is easy to read. I liked the book as it takes you through a clear process which you can use to tackle your fears.