• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

EMDR

L

Lady Lazarus

Has anyone had any success with EMDR? It's one of the treatments that my therapist and I are trying. I have so far had one 'taster' session, and it wasn't too traumatic. But I find it really hard to relax and just let the process happen.

keepsafe

keepsafe

Hey Lady Lazarus

My psychologist has suggested this to help me - but I haven't had any sessions yet. Would be good to know how you get on. Good luck
KS

D

Dollit

Would you like to explain what EMDR is and how it's supposed to help for those of us who don't know what it is?

keepsafe

keepsafe

Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing for Psychological trauma.
I haven't had it yet so I don;t know how it works really?

KS

keepsafe

keepsafe

Yes P.T.S.D. is what it's recommended for.

LaraSam

LaraSam

Can I just add something?! I found this REALLY useful. I had about 6 sessions in 2003. Now, when I'm going through a rough patch, I dream about the hospital I was in because that was my "safe place" I find it comforting and it helps me through. :)

keepsafe

keepsafe

Oh yes I have a "safe place" too - it is hard to get to sometimes though - but supposedly the more I practice the better able I will be.
It was helpful too to me and is when I am not agitated - when is a state of anxiety I can get to my safe place.

xxStephiiexx

xxStephiiexx

I found EMDR helpful..

Though I found it very hard because I couldnt relax enough to do everything my therapist wanted me to do.. But in the end they stopped it cause they said they were re-traumatising me..

But the sessions I didnt have (6 or so) were helpful as a start point..