EMDR is helpful

S

sobersbetter

Recently I posted about rain water leaking into my basement and how I was obsessing over it , that was until I did some work with EMDR around my basement flooding 8 yrs ago and how it is affecting me even to this day, i'm amazed at how strong and involved EMDR truly is , well it poured the other day and even though water did in fact leak into the basement I did not obsess and worry that it leaked like I used to , now I am not saying it "cured" me by any means all I am saying is EMDR truly helped me diminish my reaction(s) to this event in my life , I highly suggest anyone having a hard time with an obsession or perhaps what you might be struggling with in your life to give it a try , after all it cant hurt you right ?

C

change

This is super helpful!

I started actively talking about trauma 7 years ago. The therapists said it was good to do. Now I have a therapist who only wants to do EMDR, no talking. It's abrupt, as it took a long time to open up and talk about the trauma. My experience with therapy has been long and draining.

I had no faith in EMDR, but if it works for some people, I guess I might try it.

Super low expectations though, if I'm just being honest.

Heidrun

Heidrun

I am very scared going into EMDR, I have been through some very low lows and still am suprised how I hanged on on those moments. Now I am feeling a bit better and into therapy, they want to start EMDR next year or something. So scared that with EMDR I will all get it back and be at the lowest I can be and maybe do things I don't want to...

Can you guys elaborate some more on EMDR, I've heard that although it's helpful it's also extremely tough and hard on you. Please convince me.

write

write

Ime is so important that you have a good therapist, rapport, trust. I tried EMDR but it wasn't done properly and I've been left in even worse state. Ime there's a huge lack of understanding in complex trauma. But if it's done properly with the right person at the right time I've heard good things.

Heidrun

Heidrun

Ime is so important that you have a good therapist, rapport, trust. I tried EMDR but it wasn't done properly and I've been left in even worse state. Ime there's a huge lack of understanding in complex trauma. But if it's done properly with the right person at the right time I've heard good things.
How do you know you have the right person? When is the right time? I know EMDR can do good things because people have experienced good outcomes, but I am scared trying and paranoid that I will come out even worse.

write

write

Yes, hard to know, probably only after the awful experiences I've had of re traumatising treatment, could I now say who, when, what, feels right. I should have realised that I wasn't with the right therapist for me to do EMDR. There was too much pressure, it was my last chance at help etc so I felt I had to. It was a bad thing to go through. I should have trusted my instincts. Sorry, I'm not helping, just be cautious and go at a pace you feel OK with x

Heidrun

Heidrun

Yes, hard to know, probably only after the awful experiences I've had of re traumatising treatment, could I now say who, when, what, feels right. I should have realised that I wasn't with the right therapist for me to do EMDR. There was too much pressure, it was my last chance at help etc so I felt I had to. It was a bad thing to go through. I should have trusted my instincts. Sorry, I'm not helping, just be cautious and go at a pace you feel OK with x
Don't worry you're helping :), just my frustrations. It's impossible to tell whether you have got the ''right'' therapist, there is of course no right therapist. Maybe that's why mental issues are so devastating... The human mind and it's functions are extremely complex and we might never know what's going on up there ;)

write

write

I know that the T I see now will not treat me badly, they show respect, listen and hear. Although I can't yet trust enough, I see that they are trustworthy. I only know from my past experience of having the wrong therapists, that this one feels right for me, that if had done the EMDR with them the outcome may have been very different, imo etc x