• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

EMDR??? .......Anyone???

mami5

mami5

I've been referred to psychology for trauma treatment and received a letter today saying I'm on waiting list for EMDR. Not what I was originally expecting but apparently waiting list is smaller so I'll be seen quicker.

Has anyone else had this and what does it entail? How long does it usually last etc?

K

KP2

I’m curious about that treatment too. I’ve heard it’s fairly effective.

mami5

mami5

I was hoping someone on here would have had experience of it......maybe not :low:

W

Worriedyin

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I was hoping someone on here would have had experience of it......maybe not :low:
Hi, I did EMDR about ten years ago but not for PTSD, I don't have PTSD. I went to a private psychotherapist. Mine was for depression / severe anxiety with intrusive thoughts / OCD type thinking.

Basically it was a man waving a stick in front of my face while I recalled stressful events - I honestly don't know how much it did for me but I did recover quite a bit shortly after I finished the course. Not sure if it was down to the EMDR.

It was actually less stressful than I've found CBT because it's not really about talking. I can't remember if it helped with the intrusive thoughts, I'm sorry I can't be more helpful, my memory isn't good.

Are you getting it through the NHS? I know at the time I did it it was basically seen as a bit of a miracle cure with great studies to back up its effectiveness, don't know if that's still true.

mami5

mami5

Thank you for your reply - really appreciate it.

I've been referred to a psychologist at my CMHT. Apparently she does it but I don't know much about it, and neither does my CPN.

I asked for help to deal with my past and was offered this.

W

Worriedyin

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Thank you for your reply - really appreciate it.

I've been referred to a psychologist at my CMHT. Apparently she does it but I don't know much about it, and neither does my CPN.

I asked for help to deal with my past and was offered this.
No worries. Since posting I remember that the psychotherapist thought my medication was affecting the effectiveness of the sessions so that might be why I can't give a more positive answer - I was most likely on venlafaxine or mirtazipine at the time, again not sure. I think it was venla. Something to bear in mind. I have since developed psychosis and if I'm being really honest I may have been slightly psychotic already at that stage on those medications, looking back.

I didn't go specifically looking for EMDR, just for some form of treatment and couldn't wait for NHS so got a recommendation from a doctor and went privately. I'm not really sure why he chose EMDR as I haven't had any great traumas in life, he had a very good reputation so I'd imagine there was a reason. The fact the psychologist does EMDR at all suggests they are experienced as it's not that known I don't think.

Bit of a cop out from your CPN I think, she should at least be finding out for you.

mami5

mami5

Thank you. I'm currently on Sertraline 150mg and low dose Risperidone. I have had psychosis in the past but they seem to have changed to anxiety induced paranoia these days.

CPN has told me to look it up and we'll discuss it when she comes on Friday then said she didn't know much about it either!

What I don't understand is how can she recommend something when she knows nothing about it?!

W

Worriedyin

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Thank you. I'm currently on Sertraline 150mg and low dose Risperidone. I have had psychosis in the past but they seem to have changed to anxiety induced paranoia these days.

CPN has told me to look it up and we'll discuss it when she comes on Friday then said she didn't know much about it either!

What I don't understand is how can she recommend something when she knows nothing about it?!
I think it's a positive that it's actually available to you, for starters, so that's good. There must surely be some people on here who've had it for PTSD who can give a more representative reply. Hopefully someone will come along.

I'm probably being a bit harsh but I feel like your CPN should be able to give you more information. My psychotherapist told me briefly about the scientific evidence supporting it and also success stories about people but I can't remember specifics.

Y

you_can_call_me_colleen

Hi there, I'm currently undergoing treatment since September. It's difficult, but I've found more relief in the last couple of months than I've experienced with other treatments.

My sessions are 90 minutes. We'll usually do deep trauma work for three weeks, then a talk therapy session, then more deep trauma work.

I really, really connect with my therapist and I trust her. I'm always in control and I can stop at anytime. She is also very well-trained and a really good therapist; I think the therapist is just as important as the treatment.

I won't go into much detail about the actual sessions since there's so many descriptions online, which you can easily find 😊 It's also interesting to look up the brain scans of patients before and after EMDR.

I am on 200mg of sertraline, and I don't feel it affects it. I've been able to do some really good work. My therapist did mention that self-medicating between sessions can stall progress, and I'd say it's been true for me, so I stay mindful of that.

I've been using EMDR to work through significant complex trauma and complex PTSD. I've been in therapy for years, and before this, nothing could really touch the ugly little heart of the problem. But this method works really well for me, and in substantially less time.

I hope that was helpful!

L

Lola B

I've been referred to psychology for trauma treatment and received a letter today saying I'm on waiting list for EMDR. Not what I was originally expecting but apparently waiting list is smaller so I'll be seen quicker.

Has anyone else had this and what does it entail? How long does it usually last etc?

Definitely try it. EFT too, if it is suggested. I have heard of both and encouraged my daughter to see the practitioner. She finally agreed. We both have complex PTSD and most recently were in a nearly fatal car accident. I have implemented supplements, acupuncture, yoga, therapy, medicine, and will do EFT and EMDR within the next few months. Very best of health, peace, and healing to you.

mami5

mami5

Thank you for your kind replies. I haven't heard much more about it, my CPN knows nothing apparently apart from the fact that it is used to treat PTSD. She didn't even seem to know that I have been diagnosed with PTSD, she concentrates only on BPD! I am now on the waiting list to be seen by psychologist for screening before going on the list for EMDR, according to CPN. No idea how long it will all take. I'm hoping it will help with all the traumas I've been through and all the continuous suicidal thoughts I'm experiencing.

W

Worriedyin

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Hi,

I've been thinking about your last post a little bit and was unsure whether to post a couple of things.

EMDR wasn't invented by a psychologist or a psychiatrist, it was by a lady who had a master's in English and decided that if she moved her eyes side to side it lessened trauma. (Bit reductive as she did become a licensed psychologist in the end although slightly dubious credentials)

Having been through it, I really felt it might have caused me memory loss - and not regarding traumas I wanted to forget about, they're still in full technicolour. I don't have anything to back this up other than an awareness that around the time I did EMDR my memory problems really started, but could be psychosis / depression related or whatever. Don't know.

I have concerns that it's basically old fashioned hypnosis but with a lecture pointer stick as opposed to a swinging pendulum. Even the NHS website says to avoid hypnosis if you have had psychosis - and there's some sources which effectively say hypnosis can induce psychosis.

Worth mentioning that one of the things I am paranoid about is hypnosis, so use your own judgment rather than listening to me but worth doing some research.

In layman's terms, though, if it looks like a duck and all that.

Poppy2014

Poppy2014

Hi Mami,
I'm currently having EMDR my sessions at 70 minutes,
The first 5 we spent talking about events in my life, (advice here, start with being 1, and chronologically list each year and an event both good and bad from each year)
If they are more bad events in 1year list the worst one in your time line and add the rest to a list at the side.

That gives you a head start.

Once you get to therapy you can discuss this with the therapist, make sure they are experienced... Some use their finger, some a metronome, and some a light bar.
I told mine he couldn't use the metronome as I can't abide ticking so we use the light bar.

You need to have a good grasp on feelings and be able to say how you think/feel very quickly.
In our session, I have 10 minutes brief before and then he tells me where we are going to start.
My therapist uses a train journey as the metaphorical story, I get on the train at (for example a big issue for me was being 8 when everything in my life changed overnight) he sets the lights going and I have to travel on the train remembering everything I can, but recognising they are only images, pictures you would see looking out of the window.
At the same time your eyes follow the lights on the bar, sometimes they speed up, sometimes they slow down, and occasionally they stop. At that point he asks me a question, it's not about what I'm seeing but about how I'm feeling, any sensations in my body, what I'm thinking, only one question, and he only wants 1or 2 words.
Then we carry on, it's surprising when my trains go, the first time I did it I went from 8-47 in 50 minutes.
The second time I went from 8-8in the same session, he told me to slow down and concentrate on the scenery, we were on a slow train, not speed link. After 30 minutes I'd had enough, I was exhausted and asked to stop, he did and we had a 30minute debrief.

The 3rd time, we started with th 10 minutes conversation, he still wanted to carry on with being 8, so we did, but my train decided it didn't want to be 8 it wanted to go somewhere else, I said this to E and he said that's okay, let your train go where it wants.
So off we went, my mind wanted to be 12, and I went on a journey that brought back memories of forgotten about.

After 30 minutes I was exhausted again but this time he asked me to push on to try and get through to 40 minutes it was hard but I did.

Fast forward, I've had 15 sessions, they are some of the most powerful sessions I've had and for something where you barely talk for 50 minutes, I can honestly say I've found it to be one of the best therapies for dealing with traumatic memories. Most of the stuff I had as a child up to 14 is okay, I can look back on it and it's like any other memory, it doesn't hurt anymore.

I hope that helps, it's not saying it's perfect but for me it is the right one, and fortunately I have the right therapist for it.

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
I havnt had EMDR but my daughter has for childhood trauma CPTSD and although i dont really know what it entailed she said she did find it helpful but finds that DBT has been more successful