• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

embarressed about being suicidal

intelgal

intelgal

Founding Member
I was ccounting to a friend about one of the darker periods in my life and I felt so embarresed about saying I had been suicidal and had taken an oversdose. I am well on the road to recovery stil though the road takes its ups and downs. Just wondered what others thought about this

rollinat

rollinat

Founding Member
Hm, I don't think I am embarrassed exactly, but it is still hard to talk about how I have felt - I spoke to a friend a while ago about some of my experiences, who told me about a friend of theirs who had spent time in hospital because of being suicidal, and I did wonder why she thought I might have been in hospital - she clearly didn't make the connection, though. Most people, though, do seem to get it without having to spell it out.

I suppose it shows that mental and physical illnesses are very far from being considered equal, even by those who experience mental illness - would we feel awkward about telling people about a previous physical illness which had been potentially life-threatening?

J

Jisatsu

When I talk about my suicide attempts and feeling suicidal I feel stupid. I say it so matter-of-factly and probably bewilder those who I am talking to and I think "Oh great, they think I'm making this up, they think I'm just a stupid attention seeker". After thinking that I then feel embarrassed :(

intelgal

intelgal

Founding Member
Not that I wnated to share the gorry details with them.. I just found myself glossing over how I had ended up under a psychiatrist.
I just sorted of pertended everyone was overreacting to refer me. Hmm very odd

S

*Sapphire*

I was talking to someone about something the other day and I have no idea how this came about and I was not prepared for it but in recounting the story I mentioned I took an overdose. I did not quite realise the impact of what I said (until she gasped) and was kicking myself afterwards as I said it so casually! :scared:

Look I think although alot of people don't act on it most people at some point in their lives have pondered suicide, or know someone who has. I have been surprised (and also somewhat saddened) that when I have been open about it how many people came out of the woodwork so to speak about it, or approached me asking for advice on a member of their family or friend.

I think the real problem is the feeling that we need to justify ourselves, you don't, neither does anyone including me. Good friends and colleagues will accept you for who you are, your history and whether you are recovered, on the road to recovery or whatever.

I have put my mind to rest about that conversation now, if they don't like it or they make judgements then they are not people I want to know or I thought they were, but the fact that I was so able to casually mention it might have been an indication of how much I trust them and think they are good people, and that usually comes from my gut reaction and my experience of them.

honeyquince

honeyquince

Founding Member
I'm embarrased to talk about it even with my CPN and psychiatrist! I just feel so foolish, talking about it so matter of fact when I've done nothing.

Y

YellowBrickRoad

I don't feel embarrassed so much as I feel ashamed if that makes sense. When I tell people I get teary and apologise. Sometimes when I'm talking to my other half he looks angry at me when I tell him I've been fighting an urge all day or the like so it upsets me even more because I wait for him to tell me off. Last time I wanted to hurt myself I didn't tell him because I was scared he'd tell me off. It's always harder telling my mum because she really does tell me off and makes me feel worse reminding me that her grandfather killed himself.