• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

EMAHSN advanced planning guide for people with bipolar

Kerome

Kerome

Came across this today, thought it might be handy for people.

Advance Planning Guide for People with Bipolar

Bipolar Disorder is more common than is often thought, with 1.4% of the population affected at some point in their lifetime. However, there are effective treatments available and if it is recognised early, through continuing treatment and care, people with bipolar disorder can lead relatively normal and fulfilling lives.

With Bipolar Disorder the person has two poles of illness: mania with excitement, over-activity, excessive self-confidence and reckless behaviour; depression with loss of pleasure, loss of motivation, low self-worth and social withdrawal. As you may be aware, there are examples where people with Bipolar Disorder have made life changing decisions during periods where they lose capacity. These often result in significant hardship for themselves and their families – for example losing homes and businesses.

Following a £2m, five year research programme a booklet was written to help people advance plan for times when they might be unwell. The guide was heavily influenced by the research participants and trained mental health law experts, who have helped make sense of the Mental Capacity Act (MCA). The MCA is designed to protect people who can't make decisions for themselves or lack the mental capacity to do so. Unfortunately the MCA has little awareness among people with Bipolar Disorder; this booklet is a big step forward with helping people navigate the law.

People who use this guide will benefit from having peace of mind and feel more secure in the knowledge that their wishes and advance plans for times when they become unwell will be taken in to account.

This guide has been developed by NHS and university partners and is based on extensive research involving people with Bipolar Disorder. We feel it has huge potential to support people with Bipolar Disorder by helping them to retain control as well as protect their welfare, property and finances during periods where they may experience a loss of capacity.

K

Katss

ACCOUNT CLOSED
2 million for that? not particularly informative or relevant really? All that stuff can change depending upon who is in the persons life.

katss

calypso

calypso

Admin
Advance planning is something I have done with my care co-ordinator. Then I went unstable and no-one referred to it! I had to mention it and was greeted with, "Oh that, hmmm not sure". Still I am not antagonistic to anything which might empower us in our own problems. Lancaster University does the Spectrum research and some of that is quite helpful. They are going to feed back on their findings in January, at a conference in Manchester and I plan, if possible, to go along as i have been a guinea pig for them a few times.