• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Electroconvulsive Therapy

Enpi

Enpi

I've just had my second ECT session and I thought to ask you lot about it. Has anyone here had ECT? Is it any good?

Q

quality factor

I've just had my second ECT session and I thought to ask you lot about it. Has anyone here had ECT? Is it any good?

I had ECT in 2003, I went through about 5 sessions, then after the next treatment I went into a Grand Mal seizure which the medics had great difficulty bringing me out of, I was very poorly for a while. I now have epilepsy and am on medication.
This was probably a one off reaction, but I didn't have any further treatments.
One nurse who worked with ECT treatments described it as barbaric.

I believe however, that ECT has proven to be a successful treatment for many other people. After my experience I am sceptical about its effectiveness.

QF.

Wendy

Wendy

Hi there,yes I've had ECT many years ago,I'd stopped eating and weighed 7 stone ,I did start eating again but not because of that.I think ECT is brutal but apparently does work?for some people.Good luck,
Wendy x