• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Electroconvulsive therapy (ECT)

Jam1990

Jam1990

Me and my doctor talked about ECT at our last appointment and she mentioned that it may be something for us to look into. I’ve looked it up and it seems like a lot of people see a lot of good benefit from it but it seems like it has to be done more than once. It actually seems like it would be something that has to be done regularly. I don’t know how I feel about being put under anesthesia regularly just to have this treatment done but it would be nice if it really did make a big impact on my symptoms.

I was wondering if anyone here has had it done or knows any more about it.

M

ManDss

I always saw ECT as such a gimmicky.

ECT was created in the 30s. Same decade lobotomies and other new treatments were created.

At that time mental health and psychiatry was in very primitive stages.

Its like hypnosis. They thought they could do that. But still survived till this days.

ECT dont have clear effects. Also fries your brain, some side effects include loose of memory.

In short words, breaks your brain.

For people with delutions of course it work, cause they become zombies.

For people wirh depression. Theres no magic cure for depression. Its like go to a Dr and say "well, I feel bad because I cant find love, can you cure this ?".

Jam1990

Jam1990

My psychologist said that she used to work around it a lot and that it was much more advanced than what it was back in the day. It seems to also have a pretty high success rate. I am still afraid to do it though because I don’t like the idea of anesthesia.

M

ManDss

My psychologist said that she used to work around it a lot and that it was much more advanced than what it was back in the day. It seems to also have a pretty high success rate. I am still afraid to do it though because I don’t like the idea of anesthesia.
There is no scientific base for ETC. People profited with that, so they continued perpetuating it. They been elongating the results.

I hope u can have first hand experiences. Good luck.

Bluejay7500

Bluejay7500

There’s other smaller machines that I’ve tried with good results. Opened my brain waves for medications to balance in my blood stream and helped with small anxieties ect ect send me a message if your interested I’ll give you the name 🙉

Jam1990

Jam1990

Yeah I’m not sure how I feel about it yet. I get my healthcare through the Veterans Administration so they don’t make any money off of me.

W

WhySoSerious

I've seen it work miracles for people with severe, severe depression when nothing else has worked or when people are catatonic. It is a last resort, or should be so all other medication types should have been exhausted or you should be at imminent risk of death.

Anyone who doesn't understand this really has very little understanding of the mental health system and the actual facts around this. It has saved many lives and will do again.

Nate

Nate

Yeah I’m not sure how I feel about it yet. I get my healthcare through the Veterans Administration so they don’t make any money off of me.
I have had around 75 ECT treatment's and I don't recommend it. I had terrible memory loss and had a exacerbation of schizophrenia symptoms, also had problems with thought and balance. Of course people react in different ways.

Jam1990

Jam1990

I have had around 75 ECT treatment's and I don't recommend it. I had terrible memory loss and had a exacerbation of schizophrenia symptoms, also had problems with thought and balance. Of course people react in different ways.
Wow! 75 treatments. I didn’t know it could be done that much. I decided not to go through with that and I’m pretty stable right now on my medication. It just sounded really scary to me.

If I go into another episode I might try Ketamine. I’ve heard positive things about that.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
i've had ect they say it's better than not giving it and risking suicide i don't know