• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Ego

schiz01

schiz01

I have been wondering what ego is and what role it plays in not only schizophrenia but everyone in general as well.
As an example......when i was younger and before i became unwell i was a very capable sports person and took great pride in that fact.I thought i was pretty good and had a bit of an ego i would imagine.It wasn't that i thought i was better then every body else but it was something that made me feel good about myself and made up for insecurities i felt in other areas.It was something that i was good at and it made me feel special inside.It gave me the courage to hold my head high when i walked down the street.

Today i have a very low opinion of myself and see my life as a bit of a failure.I dream of becoming successful in some way or another in a vain attempt to justify my existence.

So there it is ....What role does ego play in who and what we are

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/mkMvpQ50gvI&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/mkMvpQ50gvI&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

A

Ainsworth

ive never had an ego, or dont think i have, never felt i was worth anything even as a child, so dont place myself above anyone or big myself up :confused:

A

Apotheosis

I think that ego is very important. But it depends on the sense of the word; egotistical/arrogant is not so good. I think that in many with MH difficulties, the ego (sense of self) can become weakened, shattered, fragmented & very fragile - & in these cases it needs to be built up & strengthened, or re-developed.

Rorschach

Rorschach

Founding Member
Without reaching for a book to check on what I'm going to say I'll try and delineate ego as it's used in psychology. It's part of a threefold schema

Id -Instinct
Ego- Sense of self.
Superego - Restraining superstructure, i.e. parents, society, teachers. Eventually the superego is internalised constraining negative and antisocial aspects of the ego.

schiz01

schiz01

Without reaching for a book to check on what I'm going to say I'll try and delineate ego as it's used in psychology. It's part of a threefold schema

Id -Instinct
Ego- Sense of self.
Superego - Restraining superstructure, i.e. parents, society, teachers. Eventually the superego is internalised constraining negative and antisocial aspects of the ego.
Hmmmmmm......maybe it was my super ego that led to my demise
Damn that super ego

Last edited:
Rorschach

Rorschach

Founding Member
Hmmmmmm......maybe it was my super ego that led to my demise
Potentially it should keep ego in check. My experience is that most of my problems have been ego based (sense of self), and existential (sense of place). That said if the external superstructure is dysfunctional, then what might be internalised could follow suit.

A

Ainsworth

I think that in many with MH difficulties, the ego (sense of self) can become weakened, shattered, fragmented & very fragile - & in these cases it needs to be built up & strengthened, or re-developed.

you can add people to the list of things that will weakened, shattered, fragmented any sense of self as well

wish i had an ego, may give me self worth :unsure:

schiz01

schiz01

Potentially it should keep ego in check. My experience is that most of my problems have been ego based (sense of self), and existential (sense of place). That said if the external superstructure is dysfunctional, then what might be internalised could follow suit.
Think i get it

Maybe my super ego (moral) had a fight with my ID (impulsive immoral) so my ego (rational) stepped in to mediate and come off second best

Therefor Ego is not a dirty word after all
:clap:

D

diddypinks

ACCOUNT CLOSED
hi

you say that you ant to become successful but it depends how you define success i personally think that contentment is the only real success there is look at maralyn monroe and other stars looking from the outside people would see her as a highly glamourous successful movie star but she probably felt suicidle and the lonliness woman on the planet so ultimately the only real sucess is happiness and making as many other people as you can. good luck diddy

D

diddypinks

ACCOUNT CLOSED
thanks apothosis not mine his holiness the dali lama. i also watched how unhappy someone close to me got when he didnt meet his high expectations of himself. i think someone with scitzophrenias goals ould be very different to someone without it. you have to give yourself a break because it is a very serious illness.:)

Rorschach

Rorschach

Founding Member
Think i get it

Maybe my super ego (moral) had a fight with my ID (impulsive immoral) so my ego (rational) stepped in to mediate and come off second best

Therefor Ego is not a dirty word after all
:clap:
Sorry mate, missed this. That is a definite maybe ;)

A

Apotheosis

thanks apothosis not mine his holiness the dali lama. i also watched how unhappy someone close to me got when he didnt meet his high expectations of himself. i think someone with scitzophrenias goals ould be very different to someone without it. you have to give yourself a break because it is a very serious illness.:)
I don't think it's good to have too high an expectation of ourselves; nor other people. I like the Dali lama. He is down to earth, & has a good sense of humour.

I am really trying to take things easy - I'm not well. It's probably a mixture of all kinds of reasons. I have been in a bit of a state; & wondering what to do about certain things. But I just need to ride this out, I think, & go as gently as I can with things. Since I was first very unwell at 17 - & after 7 subsequent periods of major psychotic breakdowns - with the label paranoid schizophrenia - I wonder if I will ever be well for considerable time? It would appear for the past 20 odd years; that I have periods of recovery interspersed with periods of illness, each time I have been unwell I have the attitude that I will be OK after that; but with each time I recovered less of my former self, & have been more & more effected by the periods of illness. I was last very unwell just over 4 years ago - & this has been quite a long time of relative stability. I have felt myself getting more unwell of late - building over the space of around 2 months. I don't want increased meds/med changes. It is hard to know what to do.

schiz01

schiz01

[YOUTUBE]<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/sQ0dcgd1XLg&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/sQ0dcgd1XLg&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Mkin1FhojCo&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Mkin1FhojCo&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

A

Apotheosis

The first Video is interesting - the second is disturbed; Freud was a coke head loon himself.