• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Eft & Nlp

Ashami

Ashami

Founding Member
Hi guys

After abandoning the NHS I have made an appointment with a private therapist who offers Emotional Freedom Techniques and NeuroLingistic programming to tackle depression, anger & nutrition probs.

I've never tried either.

Anybody got any thoughts?

Oh yea, it's going to cost me £60 for the first hour and £30 for each half hour after that.

:unsure:

A

Apotheosis

Hi guys

After abandoning the NHS I have made an appointment with a private therapist who offers Emotional Freedom Techniques and NeuroLingistic programming to tackle depression, anger & nutrition probs.

I've never tried either.

Oh yea, it's going to cost me £60 for the first hour and £30 for each half hour after that.

Hi Ashami, I have heard allot of very good things about EFT, I haven't had any myself, but I have a friend who practises it & I have spoken with people who have trained in it. I have used NLP tapes, & some NLP techniques in the past, I also went on a self hypnosis course with Adam Eason (Who trained Paul McKenna), he is a very experienced practitioner, & which I was very grateful for the experience.

The main "Alternative" therapy I have been involved with has been Reiki, I have received allot of support & healing from an experienced Reiki/Shamanic healer. I have also trained in Reiki & the Cartouche system of healing.

I do think that allot of benefit can be gained from many Holistic practises. I have tried & received to greater or lesser extents; Hopi ear candles, Homoeopathy, Indian Head Massage, Acupuncture, Crystal healing, Bowen, & other therapies. I enjoy exploring spirituality & ideas from different areas, which I think help me in gaining some insight & an angle on things which does not seem available through more orthodox methods. Even a simple massage can be very beneficial for people.

The only things I would suggest are these; Do not do anything which you are not comfortable doing - go with your own intuition & guidance.

I have found that using hypnosis techniques can have the potential to bring stuff up for me & bring to the surface a re-experiencing of certain psychotic experiences. This is in my experience, but I find the less "mental" & more gentle the therapy the better. I also personally stay away from directly practising Shamanic techniques, although I don't mind being the recipient of a Shamanic healer. This is for the same reason; I am cautious of doing anything to upset my mind in regard to altered states. I stay away from hallucinogens for the same reason. When meditating I follow simple mediations, no Transcendental stuff. We are all different however. I see my "illness" as a scar, which is healing, I am more aware now of certain "things" which can aggravate it.

Those are my "thoughts" anyway.

I would say that in regards to you trying alternatives - it is money well spent. Enjoy yourself & have fun. :)

Fedup

Fedup

Founding Member
Hi guys

I've never tried either.

I've never had it or know anybody who has .
Keep us posted how it goes i'm very intrested in non medication methods etc.

Takecare :hug:

dunglen

dunglen

Founding Member
eft

hi

i saw a GP counsellor recently who saw that i was in great distress so she asked if i would like to try EFT. she saw this as emergency first aid that i could use to try to calm my thoughts down.
i felt it was more like the game of follow my leader whilst saying strange words out loud.
she had me tap out a set up phrase 'although i have all these thoughts and feeling going around in my head i deeply and trully accept myself which we repeated 3 times.
then i followed her lead to tap points on my face and body whilst saying out loud 'thoughts and feelings'
after doing this three times she asked if my anxiety had become less so obviously i said yes but in truth i just felt a right plonker.

she repeated this several times then the hour session was over.

after the session she said that i looked a lot calmer and i should look up this stuff on the web 'emofree' but have not got round to it yet.
not sure if i should have shared this experience but would love to hear how you get on.

Anne

sandybob

sandybob

Founding Member
the thought of doing any of that stuff completely mortifies me ...

the "feeling like a plonker" thing like anne said i guess ..

plus the degree of faith that these thing will work is something i don't seem to be able to grasp :cry:

Ashami

Ashami

Founding Member
It's good to know I'm not alone with the spiritual stuff Apotheosis, thank you for your thoughts. It sounds like you have explored a great deal more than me. Reiki is something I have seen done on TV and a friend of mine swears by it but I have not tried it at all. Where I live is remote and it's difficult to source alternative treatments. Regression Hypnotherapy and Indian head massage are the only things I have tried. Both were extremely successful in resolving the issues I had at the time.

Talking of intuition, I have come to rely on mine for several years now. I also believe that things 'fall into my lap' at times which is reason to explore further, and this treatment has fallen into my lap now. I find that in retrospect it is clear why I had to experience something.

I can understand that it must be very difficult to raise particularly emotional and traumatic events from the past, I have a single memory I have not even been able to remember totally myself and find the thought of telling someone else about it trully horrific. I do however believe in the idea of reliving past trauma in order to resolve it, and have been sadly lacking in an opportunity to do so myself, hence my decision to go for a treatment that a lot of people describe as a 'quick fix' in NLP & EFT.

Thanks for the link, I've perused the website and it's very interesting. It has helped me to clarify exactly where I need the help.

:):flowers:

Ashami

Ashami

Founding Member
I've never had it or know anybody who has .
Keep us posted how it goes i'm very intrested in non medication methods etc.

Takecare :hug:

Will do Fedup, it will be great to get the opportunity to share it with everyone here and get peoples feedback.

Ashami

Ashami

Founding Member
the thought of doing any of that stuff completely mortifies me ...

the "feeling like a plonker" thing like anne said i guess ..

plus the degree of faith that these thing will work is something i don't seem to be able to grasp :cry:
I do agree, the 'feeling like a plonker' aspect is hard to master. When I first experienced hypnotherapy and had to 'speak' whilst being under, I can remember the embarrassement. I got over it as the session progressed tho' because what I was saying was so damned interesting!

As for faith, I was once the most aggressive skeptic. I required proof, and I got it, so now I have faith.

A

Apotheosis

It's good to know I'm not alone with the spiritual stuff Apotheosis, thank you for your thoughts.

Talking of intuition, I have come to rely on mine for several years now. I also believe that things 'fall into my lap' at times which is reason to explore further, and this treatment has fallen into my lap now. I find that in retrospect it is clear why I had to experience something.:):flowers:
Thanks Ashami, It sounds like you are very much on the path to healing & recovery.

Freudian methods - which are the generally accepted orthodox ones do focus on a reliving or bringing up of the past. Jungian & some alternative methods do not focus on such a necessity. I see things like this - that much of what we have experienced in the past is with us as who we are in the present. I do think it is possible to resolve past pain & hurt in the present moment by indirectly exploring past issues with how we react & operate in the now. I have found it very helpful to talk informally with people I trust; about past experiences, & sharing this stuff does bring relief & acceptance. When I have gone too deeply into the past it has contributed to me being very unwell, I don't look into the past too deeply any longer. Time for me is a great healer, & also just focusing on the daily things which I enjoy.

However if it works for you, & you are comfortable with it; then that is the main thing.

I also have some things in my past which have been very difficult to talk about as well, some half remembered, It took many years before I could talk about some things. I have found people to talk to, with time, & I have found acceptance & relief.
I do not think NLP, EFT or other alternatives are quick fixes, I do think these things are viable & effective paths or tools of recovery that can lead to genuine wellness.

I am very much one of the camp who believes that things happen for a reason & a purpose. Intuition is a good thing to cultivate, it will serve you well on a spiritual Journey. :flowers:

Fedup

Fedup

Founding Member
Will do Fedup, it will be great to get the opportunity to share it with everyone here and get peoples feedback.

Thank you :hug:

Love and light :flowers:

Ashami

Ashami

Founding Member
Would you believe it, after making an appointment to see the EFT / NLP therapist she contacted me to say that domestic circumstances have caused her to put all face-to-face meetings on hold......:(

However, I have found another therapist a bit further away who offers 'inner child' therapy. I am waiting to hear back from her today.......(y)