• Welcome! If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Effects of our mental health on our pet dogs? HAS BEEN APPROVED BY STAFF

zula77

zula77

Hi dog owners, I know that having a pet dog can be a massive source of emotional support, but how do our psychological characteristics affect them? I'm currently looking into the association between owner mental health and dog behaviour as part of my Master's degree, if you're also interested and want to be part of some new and interesting research I'd really appreciate if you fill in my questionnaire:

The association between owner psychological profile and dog behaviour problems

It's entirely voluntary and anonymous. There's an email address if you want more info or want to know your results. Thanks so much if you decide to do it :loveshower:

This post has been approved by the moderators.

NWiddi

NWiddi

Forum Safety Team
I wish you the best of luck with your research and look forward to reading the results if you should post them for us.

I'm afraid I'm excluded from participating because I don't have a dog, all I have is an anti-social cat lol.

zula77

zula77

I wish you the best of luck with your research and look forward to reading the results if you should post them for us.

I'm afraid I'm excluded from participating because I don't have a dog, all I have is an anti-social cat lol.
Thank you! And yes I will definitely post the results, even if no one else is interested hehe (y)

zula77

zula77

To anyone who would appreciate something to occupy their mind for a little bit, this questionnaire might do the trick :thanks: feel free to comment any thoughts you might have

JessisMe

JessisMe

This questionnaire was fun. I learned some about my dog and also about myself by completing it. One thing I did mention is that I live with my parents who help me take care of my dog. I am the owner but the three of us care for him together. We do this in part because I was not able to care for him sufficiently on my own and now live with my parents so they are able to help with many things. I just mention this in case it skews the data. He is my dog but if I lived alone with him his behavior may be very different because I would be the only person he would have to relate to or learn from and I would be the only caretaker and probably take care of him poorly (sadly). Anyway just thought I would give you the heads up on that in case it is a factor you’d like to consider. But I do recommend taking the survey. I learned some from it like I mentioned and it’s fun.

T

Tombomb

I have one on one talks at night with my dog. I think it’s a great experience for both of us . I think she may feel useful because she may know she helping my mental health needs. We have a bond that know one can change it’s nice just knowing ur being loved

TooMuchPain

TooMuchPain

That too bad that professional help is required to participate. I won't take away from this thread describing why. I love my dog and his mental health is just as important as mine. I'm pretty proud of myself because he is a happy dog. I would really like to read your report. I hope you post it.

zula77

zula77

This questionnaire was fun. I learned some about my dog and also about myself by completing it. One thing I did mention is that I live with my parents who help me take care of my dog. I am the owner but the three of us care for him together. We do this in part because I was not able to care for him sufficiently on my own and now live with my parents so they are able to help with many things. I just mention this in case it skews the data. He is my dog but if I lived alone with him his behavior may be very different because I would be the only person he would have to relate to or learn from and I would be the only caretaker and probably take care of him poorly (sadly). Anyway just thought I would give you the heads up on that in case it is a factor you’d like to consider. But I do recommend taking the survey. I learned some from it like I mentioned and it’s fun.
Thanks so much! No that's fine, you still live with him, even better that he has your parents to help out too. It's a good point, especially with covid and being in lockdown, lots of dogs who just live with one owner may have picked up on more behaviours in that intense environment. Thanks so much for the positive feedback :hug:

zula77

zula77

That too bad that professional help is required to participate. I won't take away from this thread describing why. I love my dog and his mental health is just as important as mine. I'm pretty proud of myself because he is a happy dog. I would really like to read your report. I hope you post it.
I know, I'm sorry about that, I hate excluding anyone - it was part of getting ethical approval to post the study - but I will definitely post it when it's done! Yes I think mental illness can make us more attuned to our pets mental wellbeing and empathetic to their emotions which is so important. Thanks for your interest!

A

Alexander Ypsilantis

My dogs give me a purpose. When I'm focusing on their needs I think less of my own problems.

Yes, they do complicate our lives. Worrying about their health needs (both my dogs are older and have health issues) is trying. Still, they're great companionship and comfort in these troubled times. They ground me and make me focus on the here and now-I need that when I'm battling anxiety.

Wishbone

Wishbone

Regarding the being taken on a trip in a car part, if I said my dog would be excitable then that could be misleading and make it sound like they loved going in the car instead of hating it, but I can't really get that across with the two options given so I will go with the over-excitement anyway but just a heads up that it maybe needed another option there.

zula77

zula77

My dogs give me a purpose. When I'm focusing on their needs I think less of my own problems.

Yes, they do complicate our lives. Worrying about their health needs (both my dogs are older and have health issues) is trying. Still, they're great companionship and comfort in these troubled times. They ground me and make me focus on the here and now-I need that when I'm battling anxiety.
Totally agree, especially the 'here and now' part - no matter what you're feeling in a moment the dog still needs care and attention and this is so helpful to pull us out of those dark places even if just on a practical level but then their affection and idiosyncrasies make us smile and we become lifted even more (in my experience, anyway) :)