• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

ECT

V

Viktoria

Anyone experienced ECT? Pro's / cons?

V

Viktoria

Could you elaborate? What was unpleasant?

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
the psychiatrist tryed to give me a 2nd course he said i told him i felt better after the first treatment, don't remember that, i'm glad i refused the 2nd course, regret the 1st course though it did lift the depression, wished more practical things had been done about the way i was existing but guess those wouldn't come under medicine

nonotme

nonotme

Could you elaborate? What was unpleasant?
everything about it.

the person, would be "well/normal" for a few hours, maybe a day then would slip back into the fog. it was painful to watch and be exposed to for everyone involved. It didn't have any long term benefit. But as I say others might say otherwise, I'm sure it works for many. For me, I'd say NO!

Kerome

Kerome

For the record, for an acquaintance of mine it's been largely positive. He is still medicated but seems to be suffering a lot less now.

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

Never had it myself, but have a friend who had it years ago.
She said it helped her get out of a really bad period in her life, but that it did affect her short-term memory - and it still does affect her memory, 10 years later.

V

Viktoria

Thanks for all the replies. I have to sign a consent form and I'm really hesitating. But otherwise it's forced anti psychotics...

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
Thanks for all the replies. I have to sign a consent form and I'm really hesitating. But otherwise it's forced anti psychotics...
choice between the devil and the deep blue sea, don't mental health workers love giving us that choice

V

Viktoria

Im scared of the memory loss... Tomorrow ECG to check my heart functions ok. I've now been diagnosed with bipolar and psychosis so that's something to think about too. It's all a bit much.

Some of you may have read that my dad refused to come as long as I don't take anti psychotics, well I can happily say that he's agreed to visit if I go ahead with the ECT.

V

Viktoria

I've signed the form. Thursday is my first session.

E

emjay345

Dear heart....Viktoria I can only wish that it is all positive for you. I assume they have given you all the information on what is involved; however, never feel you have to sign something that you are unsure about; which it does from your posts.
''sectioning'' removes the rights of the patient and hands authority over to the 'nearest relative' or the "hospital". I say this as in one of your posts you state your dad won't visit you unless you go ahead with ECT. The decision you make has to come from what you feel is right for you. BE SURE and BE SAFE about decisions. If you are unsure get an advocate.

Last edited:
Kerome

Kerome

Quite a big step Vik, I really hope it goes well and this is a kind of answer for you.

:hug:

@emjay: I don't agree about ECT being "barbaric". Things have come a long way since the sixties, I hear the equipment is much better nowadays and for some people it is a last resort and done with consent. It's a legitimate treatment option, which may change the patients life for the better.

Last edited:
V

Viktoria

Can you elaborate enjay?