• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

ECT Experiences Good/Bad

K

KeepWalking

Hi,

I am hoping to have some insight on anyone who has had ECT or know of anyone who as had it

I am new on this website but hoping to gain a better insight on ECT to further my knowledge on it.

Would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks

calypso

calypso

Admin
I agree with Nikita, I hope this is for personal information, not research.

I had ECT in 1979, when we were still under the 1959 Mental Health Act. So, it was legal for them to pretend I had a choice, but in fact kept threatening me with section if I disagreed. So, I 'escaped' through the linen cupboard (had an unlocked door), and looked up the Act. I found out that then, if you agreed to 7 then even with section, they couldn't force more. So I agreed to 7, but they went ahead with more by brutal nurses pushing me into the room. Abuse was rampant in MH then, far more than now, even though you will hear others tell you of abuse still.

My experience was that I lost a LOT of memory and was disoriented and lost. It did lift the depression a bit, but not much. But straight after, each time, I did get a little high. However, I am not sure if anyone researched if it was the multiple anaesthetics which actually helped or the ECT itself. I often wonder about that. My instinct is that its barbaric and there is poor research on how it is supposed to work.

I wouldn't ever have it again, I really believe it damaged my brain.

K

KeepWalking

Hi, I am new on this site and just got a message asking to give permission if I am doing this for research, have just replied saying this is for my own knowledge and I must have typed my first post out wrong - so I am here to get some support and help on my mental health and considering having ECT

K

KeepWalking

Hi,

Thanks for you post - I put a post up to say I am here for my own knowledge on ECT as thinking about getting it myself in the future

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
in the old days there were very primitive antidepressants it was used more, some who object to the meds might prefer it

I've had it at 19 as some cpn said my parents must have signed the consent form, can't ask my 93 yr old senile mother, maybe it was for the best